Gaming over a network

Dutcho

VIP POOF
VIP Member
Reaction score
I have set up a home network to allow internet access on both machine. I have a NE2000 Compatiable networkcard in both machines but am unable to play games via the network card as it is nor reconized. As it took me all my grey matter to get the internet working I had lost all hope of the game issue until I decided to make it your problem. Any ideas !?!?!?! :confused:

if your network card is not recognised then how do you access the internet through them ?
all you have to do is add the ipx/spx protocol ,which can be found in control panel /network/add/protocol/microsoft/ipx-spx compatible protocol /ok .then restart the pc , do this to all machines and you should be able to play games over the local network

Hi Dutcho,
Can you tell us what operating system you are using on both machines and what drivers you used on installing the 2 cards. And did they both install correctly?
Also what protocol you chose when setting up the network, and if you are trying to play the games across the Internet or local?
Cheers
Diamond
:)

Do you guys know everything ? The network cards have been installed as novell/athem. One machine is running windows 98 and the other windows Me. Tried using the home network wizard and quickly discovered it was a pile of poo so I am using a program called proxyx to enable internet connection on both machines. The only network adaptors that I have installed are dial up network TCP/IP

Novell is different Operating system to Windows and mainly uses its own protocols. IPX/SPX is their version of TCP/IP. So if you followed jondoe's advice you might now be happily playing your games. I hope so, but out of curiosity m8, how have you physically connected the two machines?.

Cheers everyone, yes adding the ipx-spx protcol worked. :D And just to put your mind at rest, using all my tech jargon, I have connected the machines together with a long piece of black wire with what looks like a large square bit of plastic at each end, similar to the ones you find on phones but bigger. The network cards are courtsey of a friend who works at a university and insists that they are surplus to their needs. :cool:

hi dutcho the long bit of black wire is probably a crossover category 5 cable and the connectors are RJ45 ..if you want to add another machine at sometime you will need a hub and standard category 5 (cat5)cables as a crossover only works between two network cards or nics as they are known .just incase you were wondering !!!

Back