freezing probs

steve2493

DW Member +
Reaction score
my htpc keeps freezing the screen goes a funny pattern an the pc has to be restarted.
my htpc is a msi live
these can have over heating issue's so i've removed the top to get air flow but doesn't seem to have helped the temps sitting at about 50', i have two 1gb memory sticks which i have tried one at a time but still hasn't helped, so i don't think its a over heating prob or a memory prob, there's nothing pluged in to the pci slots.
since the problem started i have added a new hard drive an loaded windows 7, this problem has also happened while i was in the bios setting's so it's not a software problem but a hardware problem.

any ideas what it could be?

thanks

If it happens in the BIOS and with either or both sticks of RAM installed, it's most likely the onboard graphics chip.

However, it might be worth cleaning and repasting the CPU (and graphics chip, if out of warranty) with some quality TIM like Arctic Silver V and testing the RAM with Memtest86+.

If you have access also test with known good RAM, CPU and PSU.

Last edited:
i have just been reading on other forums , that a few others have had the same probs as me, looks like its the on board graphics.

i have all ready ordered some arctic silver to see if that improves any thing.

thanks for your reply

just repasted the graphics chip, an was wandering can the chip its self be replaced?
could it be replaced with a better chip?

its froze once since repasting so not sure thats its helped.

no, the graphics chip cannot be replace, (well it could, but not econmically, that is to say it wouldnt be impossible, but us, yes, it is impossible).

Try the mainboard without any ram in (not all boards will start without ram) if it starts as in lets you get into the bios, leave it on and see if it freezes, if it doesnt, it could be your ram is incompatible with your mainboard?

anyway, have you tried updating the BIOS? , specially with it being onboard graphics, if there is an updated bios out, it may fix your problem, other than that, i would send it back under warranty.

most of these are long shots, but worth checking, as it does sound like you have a faulty mainboard.

thanks for the reply, the memory has been in there for two years i've tried each stick on its own an still had the prob. am i'm pretty sure its the lastest bios.

think its time to get a graphics card, can anyone recommend a card needs to be pci e, with hdmi out.
my psu is only 300watt.

thanks

getting a new card may not solve your problem, you could still have crashs, depedning on the exact nature of the problem with the mainboard.

is it under warranty? if so send it back, if not then borrow any graphics card that will fit and try that first if possible.

cheers

just repasted the graphics chip, an was wandering can the chip its self be replaced?
could it be replaced with a better chip?
The GeForce 6150 chip is soldered directly to the motherboard. Replacing isn't an option, though you could try a reflow on the possibility that the heat has mearly caused the chip to lift from the board slightly.

However, if you are not using the expantion slot I feel you may be better of with a graphics card. The spec sheet you linked too stated the expantion slot is PCI (note PCI is not compatible with PCI-e). Whilst this limits your choices, you can still get HDMI enabled cards. For example: PowerColor HD 4350 512MB DDR2 DVI VGA HDMI PCI Graphics Card - Ebuyer - though looking at the depth of the heatsink it may not fit in the live case.
its froze once since repasting so not sure thats its helped.
To be honest, with the symptoms given, it was a long shot.

there's a pci express slot under the pci riser (which i have removed to try an get some air flow) so i would need to get a pci express riser for it.

theres a couple off people on ebuyer forums that have had the same prob an reckon its the onboard graphics, an have install a new graphics card.

Back