External hard drive media player

NoodlesJoe

Inactive User
Reaction score
Malta- Fleur de lys."In hoc signo vinces"
i have a 80ig hard drive that i took out of a old laptop and stuck it into a caddy
formated it and put films/music on it all is well and i can see the files there etc etc on my pc
but when i put into a media player to watch films it does show up?
no usb inserted.

is there something i need to do or can do? or will it not work?
cheers Nj

how is the drive fomatted.... it might need to be formatted to fat32 mate... and not ntfs :)

i hope this helps ......................

it might be XP then mate...... try looking for a format tool you can use to format it to fat32....

maybe some one more techy than me can point you in the right direction :)

is there a dos prompt you can use.... fomat: (your drive letter) /fat32 something like that....

im just downloading partition magic
ive read that xp wont format anything bigger than NTFS 32gig

time to use win7 then matey ;) .......

but hopefully pm will sort it out for you :)

Although it's for the wii modmii has a fat formatter bundled I think which you can use

ok formated put film on it but no usb still showing on media player
i have a normal external hard drive in its own case that works ok
but the one ive done myself HD/caddy the usb has 1 male slot and 2 female slots on other end which helps with power
when connect to pc
ive stuck the 2 end into the media player and the single in to hard drive but no joy
so no good :(

ok formated put film on it but no usb still showing on media player
i have a normal external hard drive in its own case that works ok
but the one ive done myself HD/caddy the usb has 1 male slot and 2 female slots on other end which helps with power
when connect to pc
ive stuck the 2 end into the media player and the single in to hard drive but no joy
so no good :(

just check that it did format the drive to fat32

yes it did m8
ive put it back into pc and its say FAT32

the normal external hard drive is FAT32 and works sound but this one ive put together
ok on pc but not media player.

im thinking cos it needs more power Jim? :)

its not getting enough power from the media player........it needs a Flux capacitor ;)

Last edited:
yes it did m8
ive put it back into pc and its say FAT32

ok, so the same films play on your other usb drive.... just thinking the films might be in the wrong format like x264 and should be xvid or simular

the hard drive is not showing up in the media player
i goto usb and there is nothing showing

the film is ok as it works on my pc threw the hard drive
but no show usb in media player.

dohh lol ..........what you need is a flux capacitor then :)

That the data lead has 2 USB connectors at the PC end it sounds like the caddy needs closer to 1000mA (1A) rather than the 500mA USB2 usually supplies. The reason I say it's the caddy is I've a couple that only has one USB connector and one that has 2.

However, it's worth making sure you are connecting the correct plug into the media player as it's likely only one of the USB connectors is wired for data.

If that doesn't work you could try a transformer with a USB out (much like an iPod or Kindle charger) +/- a USB extension lead. Just make sure the transformer's output is at least 5v, but no more than 500mA (0.5A).

Back