EE sim router

silverdale

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
This is on behalf of a friend who has sold up and moved to one of these lodges. There's no cable so he opted for a sim router via EE. He has a 4k firestick and servers sound but he keeps getting swirling then it's ok then swirling again like a phase. I'm trying to help him with his Tivimate, buffering clear cache all the usual then he says ITV hub is also now which means it's either the stick (which I doubt) or his sim router.
He checked before going with EE and asked a few other residents but he's the furthest away on site. I'm just wondering, is there any apps or online that can check the connection and more importantly, how stable it is ?. Im going to ask him record Analiti video.

Do you know if he has one of them mifi type of an actually 4g router with aerials and Ethernet ports on the back. I've had a mifi one and there pants. I've got a 4g that you can fit external aerials and they are much better.

I'll get him run some speed test, were he's moved to is in a bit of a remote location, it's one of these new build lodges that are popping up everywhere.

I too use mifi/mobile internet as I have no choice if I want higher than 3mb internet. All together I spent over €500 between router, antenna, cabling etc.. mifi suffers bad from congestion. During work hours I have 300Mb dl but during the evenings I get less than 20Mb.

For your friend do you know what router they have? If it is Huawei then have them download the huacrtl pro app that you can get from Aptoide store. That app will allow him select the band/cell to use. In my case I get 300Mb+ on 1 cell and less than 50Mb on the others.

Also go to cellmapper and try to ID the bands your cells use and you will be able to see the speeds of those cells too.in many cases people are connecting to local cells when there is one further away giving far higher speeds. You friend may need an antenna to get best results

Another thing to consider. As far as im aware 3 (three) are the only network that dont use cgnat (when using the 3internet APN).

cgnat will prevent you from accessing the network from the outside.

Another thing to consider. As far as im aware 3 (three) are the only network that dont use cgnat (when using the 3internet APN).

cgnat will prevent you from accessing the network from the outside.

That is weird as Three in ireland are the only mobile provider that do use CNAT. I would use another provider but three give the best speeds by far and are dirt cheap at €25 per month.

UPDATE
I just checked another mobile provider and that also is now doing CNAT so looks like its not just Three that are doing it now.

Last edited:
Back