Different Strokes star Gary Coleman dies aged 42

pks00

Inactive User
Reaction score
Anyone remember the ever so funny different strokes? Well he played the younger bro. I saw it on the news just now and found this article here.

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Former child star Gary Coleman, whose adult life was marked by financial and legal woes, has passed away said reports late Friday afternoon. The Huffington Post and TMZ were reporting that Coleman died around noon Friday from an intracranial hemorrhage.

Coleman was on life support early in a Utah hospital after suffering a brain hemorrhage, his manager said early Friday.

“We are saddened to announce that since mid afternoon, Mountain Time, on May 27, 2010, Mr. Coleman has been unconscious and on life support,” manager John Alcantar said in the statement released by the Utah Valley Regional Medical Center in Provo.

The diminutive Coleman, 42, who suffered from a congenital kidney disease that halted his growth, was hospitalized after suffering an intracranial hemorrhage Wednesday night at his home in Santaquin, Utah.

The following day he was “conscious and lucid” in the morning, but in the afternoon his condition worsened, he slipped into unconsciousness and was placed on life support.

No further details on his condition were immediately available. But he has not undergone any surgery, contrary to some media reports, and his family hope for a full recovery, the statement said.

Coleman gained fame as the sharp-talking, adopted son Arnold Jackson of a wealthy New Yorker in the hit sitcom ”Diff’rent Strokes,” which aired on U.S. television from 1978 to 1986. His famous line, “What you talkin’ ’bout Willis?” when talking to his brother, became a pop culture catchphrase.

The child actor also made guest appearances on several popular shows of the times, including “The Jeffersons,” “Good Times” and “Silver Spoons”

But Coleman was never able to recapture the stardom he enjoyed as a child and teenager. As an adult, he would appear on some TV shows, but much of his work went straight to video.

He sued his parents and former manager for mishandling his finances, and for a time, he worked as a security guard.

In 1998, he was charged with assault after hitting a woman who asked for his autograph in one of several instances of disorderly conduct that landed him in legal trouble. Just this past January, he was arrested on a charge of domestic violence in Utah.

“At times, it may not have been apparent, but he always has had fond memories of being an entertainer and appreciates his fans for all their support over the years,” Alcantar said.

Coleman has already been to the hospital twice this year for seizure-related maladies.

(Reporting by Bob Tourtellotte in Los Angeles, additional reporting by Christine Kearney in New York)

R.I.P. Gary Coleman

Used to love that show....RIP Gary Coleman.

I mean this in the nicest way possible but you know how comedians are - I could just picture him in heaven saying it to god right now, you know, ahem, what you talkin bout willis ?! The guy will always be a legend. :)

He had a pretty miserable adult life by the looks of things. Hated being short. If all that is true then I think he is truly at peace.

He was brill in different strokes and I also remember him in Silver Spoons as well with the lovely erin gray (she was also in buck rogers).

Was tempted to say " What you talking about kimberely"
Very sad news. I used to watch it back in the day.
R.I.P. GC

What a legend of the original black comedy another lost performer whoappears to have suffered a hard life as he got older.
" What you talkin bout Willis " will never be the same.
May he RIP freefrpm pain

Oh dear such a loss. I grew up watching Diff'rent Strokes. As he got older he always seemed to be the butt of others jokes.

One of those actors you never forget, a legend in his time.

May he rest in peace

shame all three actors end up dead or a shitty life

the guy who played Willis, had a shitty life afterwards, think went to prison

now Coleman dead and also the girl, who after the show was a heavy drug user and went into prostiton and adult movie to fund her habit, commited suicide.

what a shame he had all the talent in the world as a child loved him in different strokes , R.I.P

shame all three actors end up dead or a shitty life

the guy who played Willis, had a shitty life afterwards, think went to prison

now Coleman dead and also the girl, who after the show was a heavy drug user and went into prostiton and adult movie to fund her habit, commited suicide.

It seems child stars have difficult adjusting. Suddenly with lots of fame and money, mix with the wrong crowd. Then when you lose your child appeal or fail to build on your child success or get stuck with a label you end up the wrong way. They probably do not have anybody who can help guide them. Didnt Drew Barrymore get messed up as well but managed to turn her life around (and glad she did :))

I can't believe no-one has mentioned that classic movie - Midgets V's Mascots.

You can grab it in all the usual places, or buy a legit copy.

The producers of Midgets vs. Mascots, the last film that Gary Coleman starred in, have set up a website in order to donate all net proceeds of DVD sales for the next month to the National Kidney Foundation, and to give his grieving fans a place to remember Gary and offer condolences to Coleman’s loved ones. Gary spent his life fighting kidney disease, and we can think of no better way to honor his memory than to donate to an organization helping others with a similar ailment. Through this difficult time, we are thinking about Gary’s loved ones, and reflecting on the years of entertainment he provided to all of us.

Its always sad when you hear the stars of your youth have died, sort of makes you feel old and vulnerable.

Different Strokes was a hugely popular show and the news is even sadder knowing his life was the pits after the show ended.

For the younger members can I suggest you decline any offers from Seedy-R to send you a Different Strokes DVD, his is a home produced film detailing the various techniques required to get a drunk strangers penis pointing to the stars.

For the younger members can I suggest you decline any offers from Seedy-R to send you a Different Strokes DVD, his is a home produced film detailing the various techniques required to get a drunk strangers penis pointing to the stars.

Your accusation is deplorable Sir.

The DVD in question teaches students how to use Different Strokes, whilst changing hands without missing a beat.

The other members of the South Side Episcopalian Ping Pong, Draughts, & Tiddlywinks Society found it most informative.

Back