Dark Motors and Dishes up to 1.4metres

killdeer

Inactive User
Reaction score
I often see quoted that Dark Motors are suitable for dishes up to 1.4 metres in diameter. However, I've also read that DiSEqC motors should only be used for dishes up to 1.2 metres.

Of course, steel dishes will be considerably heavier than those made from aluminium or fibreglass. For example, the Triax TD110 made from steel comes in around 9 kilos in weight whereas the larger aluminium Gibertini 1.25 metres is closer to just 4 kilos.

On the basis of just weight alone, it would seem that a DarkMotor would have no problems moving the much lighter Gibby. By moving, I mean also that the motor wouldn't wear out too quickly.

Other factors would come into play such as windload but I would like to hear what other people have to say, particularly anybody who has experience of using a DarkMotor to move a dish over 1.2 metres in size.

Wind load shakes all diseqc motors about a bit none of them are robust enough to match the 36volt motors.

The dark motor will work fine with the 1.2 meter gibby ive installed one, but i would not want a dish that size on that motor in any area other than one sheltered from the wind.

Just my opinion.

Yep, I agree with @Ferret, windage is a greater factor than dead weight. BTW, fibo dishes are actually quite heavy!

Having said that, DiSEqC motors in reality aren't that expensive these days- if 50 quid satisfies a hobby for a couple of years I'd say that's still pretty good value.

I have a 105cm dish on a cheap (40€ Iberosat brand) motor in a very exposed position on a chimney stack. It is at least 3 years old & only now starting so show a bit of play. Not that it does a lot of too-ing & fro-ing, but it doesn't half wobble about when it's windy! I have a new one ready to stick on if it gets too bad :)

Last edited:
I

For example, the Triax TD110 made from steel comes in around 9 kilos in weight whereas the larger aluminium Gibertini 1.25 metres is closer to just 4 kilos.

Other factors would come into play such as windload but I would like to hear what other people have to say, particularly anybody who has experience of using a DarkMotor to move a dish over 1.2 metres in size.

the ali face is 4kg the entire dish comes in at 27 kilo,s and is a heavy beast. i wouldnt put a 1.2 gibby on a diseqc motor unless on a south facing wall under the eaves. i had one on a stab 120 over the eaves and took it down. i think your own personal situation should cope with it ed due to your south facing wall.regards mdt

A darkmotor can take upto a 1.4m dish :Laugh: Tried one on my 1.2m Gibby and gave up with it within 30 minutes and that was at ground level on a test pole. The motor strained to lift the dish up towards south and wobbled all over the place in the fresh breeze. Had I even attempted to install it properly it would have ended one of two ways, either by needing constant realigning after every puff of wind or by simply stripping the teeth of one of the cogs after a good blow. IMO the best option if you need full H-H coverage is something like a Jaeger 1224 or Motek HH180. If you don't need to reach the extremes then get the Gibby PM adapter and use a 24" actuator.

If you do still decide to use a diseqc motor then you'll want to be well inland from the coast, put the dish at ground level and be well sheltered from the SW.

I've set 2 installations of Triax 110cm steel dishes on a Superior Darkmotor on unsheltered walls and they are still going strong after 2 years.

Back