Coventry City

Things just keep getting better for Coventry City announcing new shirt sponsors..
Hopefully this whole home coming will be the start of better things for the club and tomorrow's game is a 36,500 sell out with the club being given special permission from the safety folk to use the south stand usually reserved for away fans for home fans as well such is the demand for tickets.
Will feel sorry for any away fans it's going to be a fantastic atmosphere...

As a rule in England most football fans follow their local side, correct me if I am wrong. Most people in Ireland, I won't call them supporters wouldn't give their local side the time of day. It would sicken yeah to see them go around in their United and Liverpool shirts.
You should do a little research before you post garbage again,in ireland we have only a population of 4.5m roughly and we love our sport ,football is only the 3rd or 4th most popular sport here on a par with rugby union and way behind our national sports of gaelic football and hurling,the fai premier league which is our top fooball division is made up of only 12 teams whom are part timers,semi pro and the stanard would be like the english division 1 or 2 so its not very popular outside of the cities and very small in rural ireland,so if people in ireland choose to follow English or scotish sides they are every bit as entitled to be called fans or supports of these clubs as you are and i think you will find we fork out a pretty penny to cross the pond and support our clubs especially in london,rant over.

You should do a little research before you post garbage again,in ireland we have only a population of 4.5m roughly and we love our sport ,football is only the 3rd or 4th most popular sport here on a par with rugby union and way behind our national sports of gaelic football and hurling,the fai premier league which is our top fooball division is made up of only 12 teams whom are part timers,semi pro and the stanard would be like the english division 1 or 2 so its not very popular outside of the cities and very small in rural ireland,so if people in ireland choose to follow English or scotish sides they are every bit as entitled to be called fans or supports of these clubs as you are and i think you will find we fork out a pretty penny to cross the pond and support our clubs especially in london,rant over.
I never thought I would be debating the League of Ireland on a satellite forum but here goes. First of all, GunnerTrev you are the one spouting garbage, I actually follow a League of Ireland side and I have for over 30 years. In participation level Association Football has more numbers than the combined sports of gaelic football, hurling and rugby union put together Participation Rates and Funding in Irish Sport - The Economics of Sport so may be you would think this would be reflected in attendance levels in the League of Ireland? No because of the general obsession of Irish people towards the Sky League in England, actually I have no problem with people following if they also had an interest in the local game here instead of dissing it or showing no interest. On your average visit, crossing the pond would probably get you a season ticket at your local side here for two seasons. My father follows Arsenal, he used to live in Highbury when the price of admission was a few shillings on the Clock End,now its two grand for a season ticket which is a disgrace. While ticket prices in the Sky League are not all down to the football tourist from Ireland, it does help to inflate the price and alienate the local population from following them as its their local team.

The League of Ireland actually has a bigger attendance base outside of Dublin which is another point you are wrong on, St Pats a Dublin, side the reigning champions and a decent footballing side struggle to get crowds of over 1,000 some weeks. There are full time teams in the League, my local side been one of them and they reason there isn't more is because of the lack of investment, there is no Sky tv pushing in big money, there is tv coverage but clubs receive no money for it, the attendances are paltry which is a big factor with me, sponsorship and advertising are also very low, the prize money for wining the league is 100,000 euro, the Ceo of the Fai is on a salary of 350,000 a year, may be it should be the other way round. Even when a gem comes along like Seamus Coleman, who Everton paid Sligo Rovers £60,000 which is pittance, the transfer fees paid here, when there is actually payment the fee is often dictated because clubs can only give short term contracts and English clubs prey on this. Norway has a similar population compared to Ireland, it also has a Sky league obsession and is far more rural, yet their average attendance is around the 7,000 mark compared to 1,500 here. The great Irish sporting public is a myth, there was 25,000 over in Poland for the euros on a steam up, the friendly in Lansdowne road against Oman attracted seven or eight thousand last week.

And fair ****s to Coventry City, its good to see them back at home and being identified as part of the local community again because that's what being a football supporter is all about.

Last edited:
Was one of the best nights out I have had for a very long time.
Due to PTSD I don't tend to get out much but this was something I just had to do,so with medications in hand off I went.
The game was great and the crowd was amazing it was just under 28.000 in the end,my brother and I have not stopped chatting about it since...guess I'm a true supporter and a life long fan..

Attachments

• 10571532_1529372397294229_1937344160_o.jpg
    10571532_1529372397294229_1937344160_o.jpg
    291.8 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Any of these..Regis,Houchin,McGrath,Peake,kilcline,Sedgly,Bennett,Coterall,Gynn,Philips,
Pickering,Rodger,Downs..
And good old oggie who I spoke with last Friday at the ground,he is still the goalkeeping coach..

. The great Irish sporting public is a myth, there was 25,000 over in Poland for the euros on a steam up, the friendly in Lansdowne road against Oman attracted seven or eight thousand last week.

And fair ****s to Coventry City, its good to see them back at home and being identified as part of the local community again because that's what being a football supporter is all about.[/QUOTE]Firstly i apologise to AJT for using his thread for this discussion with my fellow country man and this will be my final post about non coventry topics and good luck to you this season,1983 you are missing the point as to why i replied to your post and your still wrong because it is only played at a higher level in the cities and big towns as you know,apart from sligo which is prob the nearest to me and is an hour and 35 mins drive away so i would hardly call that a local team,like most people in rural ireland gaa is the main sport and i follow my club and county every week so they are my local teams,why are you talking about Norway i dont know because apart from winter sports football is their no 1 sport and that is why its better supported at local level they dont have the Gaa or rugby to compete with ,finally if you had of been watching our national sports over the last couple of weeks you would see that the the great irish sporting public is no myth and most importantly people have the right to follow the team of their choice so the the next time you see people wearing EPL jerseys try not to get sick.

. The great Irish sporting public is a myth, there was 25,000 over in Poland for the euros on a steam up, the friendly in Lansdowne road against Oman attracted seven or eight thousand last week.

And fair ****s to Coventry City, its good to see them back at home and being identified as part of the local community again because that's what being a football supporter is all about.
Firstly i apologise to AJT for using his thread for this discussion with my fellow country man and this will be my final post about non coventry topics and good luck to you this season,1983 you are missing the point as to why i replied to your post and your still wrong because it is only played at a higher level in the cities and big towns as you know,apart from sligo which is prob the nearest to me and is an hour and 35 mins drive away so i would hardly call that a local team,like most people in rural ireland gaa is the main sport and i follow my club and county every week so they are my local teams,why are you talking about Norway i dont know because apart from winter sports football is their no 1 sport and that is why its better supported at local level they dont have the Gaa or rugby to compete with ,finally if you had of been watching our national sports over the last couple of weeks you would see that the the great irish sporting public is no myth and most importantly people have the right to follow the team of their choice so the the next time you see people wearing EPL jerseys try not to get sick.[/QUOTE]

You won't travel to Sligo, yet you will travel hundreds of miles to London to be a customer of Arsenal unless I am mistaken and they have relocated to Castlebar. There are smaller towns than Sligo with League of Ireland sides, Ballybofey, Longford, Cobh and Athlone off the top of my head. Why did I choose Norway, will you brought up that Irelands population was why the local league was a poor relation here and I compared to a country of similar numbers, Rosenberg have played numerous times in the Champions League and Molde (population 25,000) have as well, this happens because the league is well supported and funded. They still have their obsession with the Sky league but at least they follow their own, I could have chosen Scotland but that would have been too obvious. So Croke Park has been full the last few weeks and their is no better bandwagon than that, but what about the bread and butter of the Gaa National League, from what I have seen on news clips the crowds are very low.Supporting a side through thick and thin that's what it boils down to, not jumping on the wagon.

Back