Could your home be hacked by The Moon?

skinz

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Could your home be hacked by The Moon?

http://www.uploadlibrary.com/Noddle...e=emailCampaign&utm_medium=email&utm_content=

Self-Replicating Malware Found in Linksys Routers | No-IP Blog - Managed DNS Services

From wireless internet to smart central heating and even networked fridges. wireless devices now fill our homes and make our lives easier. Be wary though, because experts are warning that our home networks are fast becoming the main target of cyber criminals and hackers.

Recently doubts have been arising about the safety of home routers with reports from Poland suggesting that a gang has successfully adjusted router settings to access homes and steal data.

According to the PC World blog, the worst case scenario of hackers getting into our home networks is that “Strangers from anywhere in the world can access your files, slip malware into your network, or use your own security cameras to spy on you”

PC World go on to explain that some older routers are vulnerable to a self-replicating virus known as ‘TheMoon’ which takes control of the router and then uses it to scan for other vulnerable systems for hackers to exploit.

According to router manufacturer Linksys, the virus ‘TheMoon’ can only take hold if a Remote Management Access feature is turned on. Fortunately. the virus can be removed by turning off the router and disabling the remote management system.

Linksys have published information to help remove this malware here.

Home router security is something that we should all be well aware of. According to a study by Tripwire, 80 percent of Amazon’s top 25 best-selling home routers are vulnerable to cyber attack.
Of these vulnerable routers, 34 percent have publicly documented exploits making it even easier for hackers to know how to break in.

Tighten your router security now.

There are a lot of things you can do to help keep your home router secure from changing the default password and encrypting the signal to check what devices are linking in to your network.

For some great and simple tips you can use to tighten up your router security today, this article from ITproportal is a good place to start

Moon image credit Nasa/Goddard

Last edited:
Quite scary & fairly believable. I remember reading recently that many Huawei (?) ISP-provided routers had easily-exploited vulnerabilities, I'm sure they won't be the only ones. I do try not to use the supplied equipment, it's usually cack anyway!

Did you ever watch that documentary about how accessible peoples printers/hdds were to hackers without any hacking knowledge at all?It was a real big eye opener for me i will try and find it and post it up.

Quite scary & fairly believable. I remember reading recently that many Huawei (?) ISP-provided routers had easily-exploited vulnerabilities, I'm sure they won't be the only ones. I do try not to use the supplied equipment, it's usually cack anyway!

Also used by various government departments, including the MoD, if I remember correctly.

I'm so glad we have GCHQ watching our backs, aren't you? If you can't pronounce it, and need wiki to spell it, I'd be wary.

Still, I'm sure they've been vetted by the same experts who did such a good job with the b**b detectors!:Biggrin2:

looking at this title thought someone add been smoking crack for a minute

Back