Celtic FC Thread

hear hear, some sense at last.

The newspapers reports you refer to are inaccurate. Headlines about dossiers being sent to the police do not represent in any way the intentions of anyone in the Catholic Church. I have written to the newspapers concerned though to date they have not published my letters.

Since the CIS cup final a number of messages have been received by Church officials from disaffected fans, but, my only comment on this has been “The right port of call for complaints of this nature would be the police”. Certainly the Catholic Church is in no position to amass evidence or compile dossiers nor does it wish to do so.

There is no doubt that feelings run high at these fixtures. In fairness, however, this is no different to feelings football engenders around the world. It is a passionate and sometimes violent game. One only has to look at recent fixtures in the Roma vs Lazio derby where fans have been stabbed, Euro qualifier games abandoned completely because of violence or a recent Birmingham vs Aston Villa game which resulted in police clad in riot gear repelling a full-scale pitch invasion to realise just how sedate Scotland’s football matches are in comparison.

Frankly, the Scottish media have done Glasgow no favours with incendiary tales of apocalyptic and life-threatening conduct. Much attention has been given to the topic of sectarianism though again an informed perspective has been lacking. If neither the fans who sing ‘sectarian’ songs or the officials charged with policing them, have an accurate understanding or definition of the term, it seems unlikely they will be able to respond, far less eradicate such behaviour. Rather than convening further high profile summits or compiling eye-catching headlines, what is needed most of all now is a informed definition of the term ‘sectarianism’ and a renewed pledge from everyone involved in football not to tolerate it.

Yours sincerely

Peter Kearney
Director
Catholic Media Office
5 St Vincent Place
GLASGOW
G1

Last edited:
Lennon will only serve five match ban

The Scottish Football Association have conceded that Celtic manager Neil Lennon's touchline suspension can be served concurrently, and not consecutively as they had believed.

Lennon was given two bans of four matches each but the second, given to him after the Old Firm match on March 2, came into effect in the middle of his first suspension.

The SFA believed that ban would run consecutively, which was challenged by Celtic. The SFA have now admitted their "interpretation of the rule is legally unenforceable".

Stewart Regan, Scottish FA Chief Executive said, “We have discussed the matter with Celtic Football Club and they accept that Neil Lennon was guilty of misconduct. However, with regard to the timing of the suspension we must accept that if our rules cannot be enforced in a court of law then they cannot be imposed and it is foolish to waste money defending such a point. We acknowledge that our rules do need updating and I have proposed to our Board that we commission a complete re-write of the Disciplinary Procedures from a legal perspective to address this whole matter.

In addition, we will be debating this matter with our Council later this month. Whilst we have an obligation to ensure that our rules can be legally enforced, nevertheless it is important for the future of Scottish football that we do not allow our disciplinary procedures to be used as a costly legal playground. We must ensure we can reach a happy balance where every decision is not subject to an appeal and football can self-govern without constant legal interventions.”

Neil Lennon thanks Celtic fans for their support

Celtic manager Neil Lennon has hailed Celtic supporters for their backing towards him and his players.

Lennon is quoted on the eve of the SPL match against Inverness thanking the fans on Celtic’s official website.

He says: “On a personal level, I would like to thank the Celtic supporters for the tremendous support which they have given me, particularly during the last few months.

"Despite not getting the result we wanted, the Celtic supporters were absolutely magnificent at the Co-operative Insurance Cup final.

“Our fans have a reputation for being the very best and they certainly demonstrated that last Sunday.

“They played their part in bringing us back into the game and while we never delivered the trophy, our supporters can certainly hold their heads high. They were a credit to the club.

"We need the same kind of positive support on Saturday as we once again aim to win in Inverness.

“This will definitely not be easy, but I know that we can do so with our fans’ backing. We want our fans once again to demonstrate all that is great about our club.

"We need to put the cup final behind us now and look ahead. We will be focusing on the challenges which lie ahead and I can assure all our supporters that we are more motivated than ever to bring them some success this season.

"We are pleased that our supporters have developed a great connection and unity again with the club during the course of the season and we thank them all for their positive backing."

Meanwhile, Freddie Ljungberg is in the Celtic squad for the trip to Inverness.

The former Arsenal star has been hampered by injury and illness since he joined the Parkhead club in December but he came through a friendly against Athletic Bilbao in Spain last week unscathed.

Re: Neil Lennon thanks Celtic fans for their support

x0uuc2.jpg

Celtic Football Club

WE note the lengthy statement issued today by the SFA in connection with the very straightforward issue of Neil Lennon’s suspension running consecutively or concurrently.

We are pleased that the SFA has recognised that Celtic’s position is absolutely correct.

Consequently we look forward to Neil returning to the dugout for the match against St Mirren on April 9, 2011.

It should not have been necessary for Celtic Football Club to involve our lawyers in this simple matter, and we would have much preferred not to have had to do so.

But it is vital that the SFA properly applies the rules that it imposes, whatever those happen to be. The SFA cannot operate above the law or its own rules.

A full review of the SFA disciplinary procedures is clearly required and we note that the SFA are addressing this matter.

We are supportive of this and hope that legal interventions will not be necessary in the future.

We will continue to protect the interests of Celtic and fairness and, as a member club, hold the SFA to account if required.

2hgg5kn.jpg

Re: Neil Lennon thanks Celtic fans for their support

x0uuc2.jpg

Celtic Football Club

WE note the lengthy statement issued today by the SFA in connection with the very straightforward issue of Neil Lennon’s suspension running consecutively or concurrently.

We are pleased that the SFA has recognised that Celtic’s position is absolutely correct.

Consequently we look forward to Neil returning to the dugout for the match against St Mirren on April 9, 2011.

It should not have been necessary for Celtic Football Club to involve our lawyers in this simple matter, and we would have much preferred not to have had to do so.

But it is vital that the SFA properly applies the rules that it imposes, whatever those happen to be. The SFA cannot operate above the law or its own rules.

A full review of the SFA disciplinary procedures is clearly required and we note that the SFA are addressing this matter.

We are supportive of this and hope that legal interventions will not be necessary in the future.

We will continue to protect the interests of Celtic and fairness and, as a member club, hold the SFA to account if required.

2hgg5kn.jpg

nice one :)

S.F.A.

Senile Feckin' Assholes.

they could not run a Raffle yet they are let loose in society. if there was ever an advertisement needed for Euthanasia look no futher than the S.F.A.

:rip: S.F.A. killing scottish football.

Last edited:
[ame=http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=21ngzro&s=7]Video - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting[/ame]

neil lennon take note this is how to behave on the touchline :)

PS POSTED IN THE CELTIC FORUM SO HOPEFULLY the usual suspects wont be offended

thats a strange site that its full of tims, they hate us that much yet we are all they live for to talk about . just like you colin, sad really lol

hmm ok says the man who comes onto a thread supposed to be for celtic fans and then comments about how sad that sort of behaviour is lol facepalm

u just cant help urself can you? get a life

apologies thought this was for celtic fans? theres quite a lot of anti celtic anti neil lennon stuff in the rangers section i dont comment on why do you need to moan about stuff posted in the celtic section?

apologies thought this was for celtic fans? theres quite a lot of anti celtic anti neil lennon stuff in the rangers section i dont comment on why do you need to moan about stuff posted in the celtic section?

is it too quiet for you?
u feel the need to goad people
and stir?
i try not to read your stuff anymore as it utter bile.
im not getting drawn into a he said that he said this session
i will delete nonesence.
pm admin if not happy as per.

Celtic face anxious wait over rearranged game with Inverness
The culmination of the race for a top-six place could be crucial in determining whether Celtic face four Clydesdale Bank Premier League games in eight days.
By Telegraph staff and agencies 4:22PM BST 03 Apr 2011
That prospect was raised when Celtic's clash at Inverness was postponed on Saturday morning.

Celtic are playing in the next three midweeks, leaving Thursday, April 14 - two days after the Hoops face St Johnstone - as the only realistic slot to fit in the fixture before the split.

However, Motherwell's win over Aberdeen put them four points above Inverness and another victory for the Steelmen on Wednesday against Dundee United would put them in line to clinch a top-six place on Saturday, meaning the SPL could schedule Celtic's trip to Inverness later in the season.

forgot your the man that tells people to post where u want them to lol
this is an open forum, the link you posted is a tim that has a website that makes up lots of shit.
its all tims posting on it that think they know everything about rangers.
dont u think thats sad mate lol
most of yous live to hate rangers, why dont yous just love celtic and forget about that club you hate. because even when we are so poor as a team and so much money trouble we can still win 2in a row maybe 3 lol

i feel your pain lol

Now whilst I agree that Colin does have a tendancy to stoke the fires from time to time the name "tim" is offensive and should not be used in a thread that is supposed to deal with the news about a football club. Can people try and grab a little perspective please it's a football club, it's a football team it neither puts bread on your table or money in your wallet.

P.s before the snide remarks start I'm a protestant and proud of it I just happen to be a Celtic supporter, but I do pride myself on seperating politics from football and being able to tread the line between both.

Now whilst I agree that Colin does have a tendancy to stoke the fires from time to time the name "tim" is offensive and should not be used in a thread that is supposed to deal with the news about a football club. Can people try and grab a little perspective please it's a football club, it's a football team it neither puts bread on your table or money in your wallet.

P.s before the snide remarks start I'm a protestant and proud of it I just happen to be a Celtic supporter, but I do pride myself on seperating politics from football and being able to tread the line between both.

everyone is different i wouldnt be overly bothered getting called a tim truth be told.

Last edited:
mate i think your not a bad man, but you have your wee moments lol .
just like us all: big crow

Last edited:
Back