can i pair my modems up to get more speed?

2primo

Inactive User
Reaction score
0k i pay for 20meg bb and have a cloned modem i used lol for my 360 but now im banned from live so its sitting there spair my question is can i somehow pair them up so i will get more speed ? i know theres gona be peps saying why well as i said i pay for 20meg but only get like 4-5 meg max and have spoken to virgin about this many times but they claim theres oversubscribing in my area and they have been having probs getting the planning permission to dig the roads up to upgrade !!
tbh i think this is total crap but what the hay can i do !!! nothng right !! so i was wondering if i used the 2 modems @ the same time would i get more speed for my downloads i pay for my newsgroup subs and there side of things is fine , spoke to them also !! i just want to get a bit more speed so it dont take and hour to pull down a divx film i mean ffs 1gig in an hour comeon thats poor ....
im guessing that my macs cloned and due to trafic shaping i get spanked as theres prob some begger lol pulling down files and using my quota up i cant moan realy but virgin dont care and tbh if i could i would buy 2 more modems and run 4 if it got me the 20 i pay for ,,, any one advise if what im asking is possible and if so how , ive read a bit about routers but dont know what it is exactly i need and how to config ... thanks
2primo

The easiest, most reliable BUT most expensive way to do this is to get a dual WAN router...Netgear and Linksys both do these and they are about £100-£120...With these you plug a modem into each WAN port and configure it through the router..Takes 2 seconds...

These routers also do load balancing and rolling IP addy's...

The cheaper option is to use software and 2 NIC's to basically bond the 2 connections and in essence create 1 connection...Some ppl have major issues with this software and I've found it ain't the most reliable....

im guessing that my macs cloned and due to trafic shaping i get spanked as theres prob some begger lol pulling down files and using my quota up

Thats not the way it works !

Only one modem can exist in any one area with a particular MAC and as traffic shapiing is applied relatively locally then any traffic shaping rules are pretty much guaranteed only to apply to your modem.

If somebody else has cloned your modem in a different area then they will not interfere whatsoever with your quota.

Generally speaking, there's probably not much use going beyond two modems as the basic line bitrate is only somewhere around 40Mbit/sec.

Adding more than two modems may give you more of the timeslice periods but on an oversubscribed connection is probably unlikely to give you much more in terms of real speed.

yehh tha was more of a question realy i just assumned that IF my mac was cloned that i would suffer the result of trafic shaping ,thanks for clearing that up for me , also thanks so i need a good dual WAN router to tbh i think thats the way im gona go ,but im going to try wingate 1st see if i can get any results supp its gota be worth a mess .... ive got the progy and the tut but i wanted to ask if this will help with my dl speeds via newsgroups or not and if yehh is it reliable ..

Do a search for Wingate mate, it's software that will combine the speeds of your two modems, there is a full tutorial available on the forum, the software is also here for downloading.

I've been using it for years and it's been flawless.

Back