Can i get out of my contract?

TheCheekyMonkey

Inactive User
Reaction score
Basically been with three for years, am now 8 months into a 2 year contract with them. We all knwo 3 can be a bit flaky on the old signal, but overall very happy with the service until march this year. Bascially in my house i have reasonable signal everywhere except in the kitchen (unfortunatley this is where my office is as well) but up to now ive put up with it, getting basically zero bars, but enough to make and receive calls. Mid feburary i get a message from 3 stating that they are doing upgrades in my area in a week or two to improve service. i thought wey hey, job done.

unfortunatley that wasnt the case, since the beginning of march when at home my signal / reception / ability to make calls has gone from bad to worse. To the extent that in the past 14 days if i`m at home 90% of calls, received or made cut off randomly, sometimes in the call or before i even answer it. even when i have full signal.

It isnt my phone tried different phone and my girlfriend and family are on 3 and all suffer the same problem when at my house.

saturday i rung them up and complained, was told they would contact me back once they have looked into it.

sunday they rung me on my mobile, which cut out repeatedly, and had to ring back on my landline which i asked the to do in the first place. they explained that the work carried out looked at the services required in my area and basically focused them to other areas as in my direct area they where not called for as much lol, basically they pointed the mast away from me because more people used three on the next postcode is what they basically said, he admitted that they have checked my account and logged repeated call and signal drops and told me they had work scheduled to begin again on the mast at the end of july and again in december, he agreed that this was a long time to wait and that even then it may not fix my issues. He accepted that this was a serious issue and put me through to there `customer options` team.

He apologised for my issues, and basically told me i have 3 options (then added a 4th)

1. drop my call plan to a lower one. God knows how this will rectify my issues, i declined it.
2. Accept a £5 discount on my bill every month. I declined lol
3. Pay a disconnection fee of £188..........................i went balistic

I basically told him they where in breach of contract and that there network maintainence was derivative to my service and through no fault of my own could no longer use the services i pay for, for which they where intended..............wasnt having any of it, he then said i could have a 50 percent reduction on cancellation fee.

I just told him to get a manager to ring me back.

A manager rung me back, and basically said as i was a valued customer they would just this once allow me to cancel without paying cancelation fee.............result.................as long as i return the phone.

lol

I dont have the phone anymore, it was a crappy nokia 2780 or something stupid, i explained this and he said then i have to pay £188 to cancel, i declined and have now gone through to there exectuve department and basically emailed everyone i could.

I offered to pay for the phone and asked the cost, he stated £188 lol, so what do you think? when i cancelled my contract before with them when they amended the roaming charges which was in breach of contract i got to keep my phone so why should i have to return the phone to them, i asked them to return the wasted monthly charges and the landline costs ive incurred but they wont so i aint returning the phone.

what do you think.

p.s. this isnt to try and get out of contract, i genuinley cannot use my phone when at home and would stay with them if i could. My missus has to change her contract also.

Was the nokia the phone they gave you when you took the 2 year contract with them?

Could you not get a second hand one of ebay it would be cheaper than £188

I feel for you mate, this has happened to a friend of mine. They used to get full bars and full download speeds using the 3 dongle. After a maintenance upgrade, the reception at his home is 1 bar or less lol he's only just jumped into a new contract also. Three are currently stating nothing is wrong at the moment with his.

If you can prove that since the change, the service is now not fit for purpose then you are entitled to exit the contract (which you have already done) Only problem is they have you by the balls with the phone.

Do they have the imei number associated to the contract if so ebay maybe no use. If not I would definitely do as DogToffee says and buy a replacement off ebay providing you get nowhere with the exec office. You never know with a bit of luck they might drop the lot.

only thing is when my last contract was cancelled due to them stopping international roaming i got to keep the phone as many many others did due to them breaching contract. I doubt they would take any phone, worst case scenario i`ll just get them to send me a prepaid envelope and doctor it to look like its been opened by postie lol.

feck em.

25 phone calls today 24 i coulnt answer. :(

The don't really want the phone mate. Just an excuse to stop you wriggling out. Barstardooos!!!

yeh i was with three and got out of my contract after 9 months as down to no single all they wanted me to do is send the handset back and pay my last bill to them

managed to get out of it, had to go through executive department. They agreed that it wasnt my fault but had to recoup the cost of the phone but he charged me the lowest figure he could which was £59 to job done.

Back