Automation Through serial?

AlanFAT

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Here's one for ya!

I can't seem to find any decent information on how to control AV equiptment via serial.
I know the serial ports are just sitting there waiting for me to exploit. Rs232 on my sharp tv and av receiver serial on my dreambox etc.

I'd like to know if its possible to get it all linked up and controlled full on rather than a little bit via the posh remotes.

I'm technical and have come up on a bit of a dead end. I used to work in the AV industry but my specialty to be honest was pro equiptment not consumer stuff, so I've got my head around most of it but this is bugging me!

I understand systems like crestron etc would probably use this or similar method (proprietary software) to get it all done and I don't want to have to call up someone that might not tell me anything!

This is a bit of a black art, but it is possible to execute commands via a standard pc. It very much depends on what you want to control and how much proramming you are prepared to do yourself.

First you will have to find the serial command codes for each piece of equipment which can be a task itself.

Your Budget also has to be a consideration I have programmed Crestron and AMX systems which are great but money has to be no option if you want the good stuff.

I would recommend having a look at the Xantech range of control systems for a medium budget, they do an IR to serial interface which works quite well.

For a tight budget you are look at putting some time in and PC programs such as Girder and Netremote from proxmis. http://www.promixis.com/index.php

I've played but never had the time to fully develop a complete solution for myself, the above programs have the potential to fullfill all AV programming requirements.

Hope this helps give you some ideas

Yes, now we're talking!
I was looking into girder and net remote b4 but didnt come up with everything I needed.
The serial commands for my tv and soon to be AV amp are in the manual (to an extent I think) but should be ok to find. I'll have to see how far I get, been a while since i did ANY programming at all!

At one point I had my toshiba projector controlled with girder via serial using netremote on an ipaq as wireless control interface! (I wanted to build a miniitx pc for av automation, still do, just never seem to find the time to dedicate to it!)

Things have moved on with both programs since then so I'm sure it will be possible to achieve what u want, Girder forums were quite helpful, as ever you have to trawl through the crap. I will gladly try to help if I can but I will be learning again as I can't remember what the fcuk I did! lol!

Back