Apple TV Jailbreak Confirmed; Let the Hacking Begin

biffo1

Staff member
Reaction score
205685-204681-09_apple_tv_slide-2_560_original.jpg

Earlier in the month, we reported on rumors that since the Apple TV runs iOS just like as the iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch, it should be possible to jailbreak it. But there was no indication if how and if it could seriously be done, due to the Apple TV's limited storage capacity.

But a member of the Apple jailbreak blog iPhone Dev confirmed that if you use Greenpois0n and the SHAtter exploit, you can indeed jailbreak the Apple TV's iOS 4.1 installation. The Dev-Team managed to jailbreak the film rental since Apple having has firmware on its servers.

The greenpois0n update for 4.1 isn’t out just yet, so beware of any fake Website that claims to have the newest download.

It will be interesting to see what hackers cando with a jailbroken Apple TV. At present, various how-to Websites show users how to add a multitude of apps and programs such as Sapphire and Boxee to the old Apple TV. With the jailbreak options readily available for the newbie, (as well as the Apple TV's mini-USB port at your disposal to add external storage), there’s no reason to think that hackers can't come up with some interesting customizations..

Are you more tempted by the new Apple TV now it can be jailbroken? Sound off in the comments.

Hope this is ok in this new section as its about apple tv, but it does mention jailbreak

Last edited:
Sargie I think it will be aimed at using it as a media centre like the older phat version.

To get movie rentals you would still need accounts etc.

If it does allow the likes of plex/xbmc or boxee and the like then I am there :) can get rid of my htpc then ;)

Last edited:
i keep puttin off buyin it but ive been on the apple page few times to get it. but if its a hit then i can c the delivery jumpin up from 2-3 weeks to what ever. so kinda thinkin will i go for it lol

biffo is there any more info on any off your forums aout this cause im tryin to find reviews on what people are sayin about this and when is it available. thinkin off gettin one before xmas cause they will be a nightmare to get. cheers bud.

will look now lads

After showing off the first demo of SHAtter exploit in action, MuscleNerd of iPhone Dev-Team has confirmed today that this new exploit which was found by pod2g, a former team member of the Chronic Dev-Team will also work on the new Apple TV 2010. Since Apple TV also runs on iOS 4.1 (official download link), it will be interesting to see what kind of “magical” stuff can jailbreaking community achieve here.

It’s looking like SHAtter is going to be the gift that keeps on giving. Even though the new AppleTV isn’t yet in people’s homes, the firmware is available on Apple’s normal public distribution servers and SHAtter has been used to decrypt its keys! The main filesystem (“Mojave8M89.K66OS”) key for 018-8609-066.dmg is:

31c700a852f1877c88efc05bc5c63e8c7f081c4cb28d024ed7f9b0dbc98c7e1406e499c6

If you’re familiar with vfdecrypt, you can use that key to decrypt the image and mount it. If you do so, feel free to use the comments section to discuss what you discover there (And of course, thanks @pod2g!)

The Apple TV hasn't reached peoples' homes yet. The Shatter exploit, has been out about a month

Last edited:
now available in UK at 99 pounds

thats what i was thinkin. i went into comet early on and asked them and he said you'll need to go to the apple shop in aberdeen so i was going to phone them 2morrow. i always jump into buyin things the first day ie ps3 and other things and next thing there bringing it out again but they've added something extra to it. kinda glad i never got the ipad yet as ill wait for the other one to come out.

ill phone apple 2morrow and c what there sayin

any more update on what has been done to the apple tv by the hackers ??

Back