Any BT/Openreach Engineers here?

shaun127

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
We Don't Do Walking Away. I would rather die with
As above any bt /openreach engineers on here that can help with a query?

This box is outside in my 85 year auld mothers garden.

She looked outside window yesterday and this guy was in garden fiddling with box, (no uniform on etc)

said that next door shared a phone line with her and he was fixing a problem for them.?

Never heard of people sharing lines before, in this country anyway?
does it sound legit?

Little black box pictured

Attachments

• box.jpg
    box.jpg
    231.3 KB · Views: 29
sounds bullshit to me he was snooping . but go next door and ask if there was a problem with there line and had an openreach appointment

Im a couple of hundred mile away and the folk next door aint to friendly. Sister took photo.Thanks Turner, is it possible to run a cable from my mother bt box inside their house enabling them to get free broadband and telephone calls using my mothers line?

Actually this is totally possible. Basically when the cable from the pole is fed, there are 2 pairs. Orange/white and Black/green, depending on how long ago it was fitted they may have only put one cable across. So they'll then use the spare in the cable. It's bad practice now as if either line goes down they don't have any spares.

As for connecting a cable and getting free stuff, it would be possible, but the phone could only be used by 1 party, and internet wouldn't work as they wouldn't have the details for it to connect to the DSLAM. Inside the router is config that has a user id and pass, and this wouldn't sync up properly.

If you can get a pic inside that black thing i'll have more information. I used to be an openreach engineer a long time ago.

I used to be an openreach engineer a long time ago.

Then you got a proper job? ;)

Sorry, I'm sure you were one of the good ones, but I've had more trouble with OpenReach numpties over the years than you could believe.

(...and it was usually the guy that came after them to sort the problem that used that description!)

Then you got a proper job? ;)

Sorry, I'm sure you were one of the good ones, but I've had more trouble with OpenReach numpties over the years than you could believe.

(...and it was usually the guy that came after them to sort the problem that used that description!)

I hated it. I worked in a very rural part of West Wales, and I only saw people maybe once every 3-4 days.

Back