another wiring thread!

Hejira feel free to come up here and run a few cables for me lol

i've read, re-read and read your post again and all i can figure out is that i'm a think cnut!

lol

cause i've never done anything like this before i can't really picture the inside of a telephone socket and wireing it to a patch panel

its a telewest socket thats in the house if that makes any difference :)

thanks for everyones valuable advice :)

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

Gav, Gav, Gav

Look fella, when dealing with Hejira just nod your head like you understand what he's talking about and smile a lot. On the odd occasion say that's a big cable or I've never done it like that before just to keep him sweet.

I'm doing the same hoping that he'll get fecked off trying to help and just come down and fix it himself. And no jumping the queue, I woz ere first.

he does have a vast and varied knowladge of this field

i think he invented telecoms and everything AV!!

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

Hejira feel free to come up here and run a few cables for me lol

i've read, re-read and read your post again and all i can figure out is that i'm a think cnut!

I'm not sure my passport lets me that far North. LOL

Running cables any Munkey oops Monkey can do! It's the connections that are a head fcuk! But it's not as bad as you think.

I've started to wire up a little example, but the camera on my mobile is shite, I'll sort some pic's as soon as I can.

Here a bit more Telecoms info n pics of Master Sockets:
http://www.wppltd.demon.co.uk/WPP/Wiring/UK_telephone/uk_telephone.html

Gav, Gav, Gav

Look fella, when dealing with Hejira just nod your head like you understand what he's talking about and smile a lot. On the odd occasion say that's a big cable or I've never done it like that before just to keep him sweet.

I'm doing the same hoping that he'll get fecked off trying to help and just come down and fix it himself. And no jumping the queue, I woz ere first.

Serious m8 you hit the nail on the head, that's my life! LOL

At least you stand a chance, your just through the tunnel and you keep flashing nice toys! Final Fix or Snagging Maybe! LOL

he does have a vast and varied knowladge of this field

i think he invented telecoms and everything AV!!

I just talk a loada shite to confuse you that sounds plausable n it seems to be working!

Im sure my great uncle Patrick had some part in the development of caller id does that count?

Last edited:
I bet that's your setup and you can't be asked to screw the covers on

I bet that's your setup and you can't be asked to screw the covers on

Your not that far from the truth! LOL I have cables running from my patchbay round the edge of the skirting waiting to be hidden when I replace the skirting terminated to modules only (No backbox or faceplate).

nope :proud:

i wont really understand it till i've got the stuff in my hand

onice i've got the cable, the face of the master socket and the patch panel

oh and you standing next to me with the tools and cables lol i'll just drill the holes in the joists!

lol yeah i'm getting it slightly just see on the back of the patch panel do you connect cable 2 from the master socket to ethernet socket 2? so all the wires from the phone socket run to seperate ethernet sockets?

so if theres r wires from teh master socket that works out as 3 ethernet ports on teh panel?

or am i missing the point completely?

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

What I've done there is connect from the Master Socket to the first 3 Cat5e Sockets in the PatchBay using a single piece of Cat5e Cable, (Note: Do this with a cheapy Plastic PunchDown Tool as it dosn't cut the cable like a pro tool does) The other sockets would be fully wired Cat5e going off to your locations.

You then use a short Cat5e Patch cable n plug from one of the first 3 sockets to which ever socket goes off to the location you want the phone.

At the location you want the phone you will either have a Tel Slave module as per the pic, (I put it facing backwards in the frame to give you an idea how it snaps in n to show it's just the same punch down style connection)

Or you have a Cat5e Module n an adapter (2 diff style of adapters pictured)

what tools will i need mate?

you got any links buddy

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

You'll need a sock and some pool balls.

Make sure you earth yourself by wearing an anti static suit, I had this one custom made for me.

sock-monkey-costume.jpg

punchDownTool.jpg

i use the IDC tool, (i paid nearly £50 for mine many years ago lol) and a stanley knife for stripping cables

i use the IDC tool, (i paid nearly £50 for mine many years ago lol) and a stanley knife for stripping cables

Shite m8 that must av hurt, I got my first from a Kind BT Engineer, Don't know how long it took im to realise it woz missing ;)

I got one those strippers after having to make a loada patch cables, it just saved time!

@Munkey when do we get to see u modeling that anti static suit! LOL

right chaps!!

the time has come to get tore into this!

right what kind of splitter so i can run terrestial tv into the rooms?

i need to do this tomorrow lol cause the plasterer is coming through the week to do it

its been reduced to cable/sat/terrestial tv in each room

so i'm gonna use the backing plate from a electrical box and use conduit in the walls to screen the cable

needs to split the cable 5 ways

3 bedrooms living room and kitchen

just buy a faceplate later on to sort the connections to after its been plastered?

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

I guess the best you can do right now is make sure that you have sufficient co-axial cable for your needs. You can always buy duplex or triplex faceplates later so run a pair of co-axial cables at a minimum alongside the cat5/6.

As Munkey say, best bet is to get all the cable in now, worry about faceplates later. AFAIK terrestial/cable/sat can all be pushed down the same type of cable. Also a pair or either cat5e or 6 (which is harder to work with) to each room.

so the cables are now run i just need to purchase splitters and a new LNB

need a 4 way splitter for terrestial

5 way splitter for cable

an octo LNB for the 80cm dish

and a face plate with 1 connector for each service on it to fit a dual electrical box

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

so the cables are now run i just need to purchase splitters and a new LNB

need a 4 way splitter for terrestial

5 way splitter for cable

an octo LNB for the 80cm dish

and a face plate with 1 connector for each service on it to fit a dual electrical box

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

can anyone point me in the right direction where to get each piece of equipment listed above?

really need the faceplate asap!

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

Back