Android Set top boxes - The future of IPTVs?

icebergx

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi all,

First post here :)
My interest in IPTVs has recently piqued so I thought I'd get myself a new MIniX Neo X7 which should be arriving tomorrow.
Minix Neo X7 Full Review - YouTube

Up until now, I've been air-playing/airplay-mirroring to my Apple TV3 and had XBMC on my old Apple TV1. The openness and flexibility of the Android platform makes me think this could be the way forward for IPTVs. The X7 is a quad core model and should be able to run 1080p streams pretty well with a few tweaks.
This being the case, why would anyone want to buy something like a Mag250? It appears less powerful and less flexible.
Ultimately, is there any need for these "single purpose" boxes anymore when you can get an Android box for similar money, which is far more versatile?

What are the IPTV apps on Android like? Do they work well? Can anyone recommend where I should get started with my X7?

Thanks.

Hi all,

First post here :)
My interest in IPTVs has recently piqued so I thought I'd get myself a new MIniX Neo X7 which should be arriving tomorrow.
Minix Neo X7 Full Review - YouTube

Up until now, I've been air-playing/airplay-mirroring to my Apple TV3 and had XBMC on my old Apple TV1. The openness and flexibility of the Android platform makes me think this could be the way forward for IPTVs. The X7 is a quad core model and should be able to run 1080p streams pretty well with a few tweaks.
This being the case, why would anyone want to buy something like a Mag250? It appears less powerful and less flexible.
Ultimately, is there any need for these "single purpose" boxes anymore when you can get an Android box for similar money, which is far more versatile?

What are the IPTV apps on Android like? Do they work well? Can anyone recommend where I should get started with my X7?

Thanks.

XBMC runs on Android but there is no hardware encoding for HD streams, Silverlight used with SkyGo and other highend web streaming providers is not supported by Android. Im sure there are lots of pros ands cons.

XBMC runs on Android but there is no hardware encoding for HD streams, Silverlight used with SkyGo and other highend web streaming providers is not supported by Android. Im sure there are lots of pros ands cons.

I believe Hardware encoding is going to be a feature of XBMC 13 (Gotham)...
How widely used is Silverlight? Do dedicated IPTV boxes support it?

Would certainly like to hear more about the pros of "standard" iptv boxes.

TBH liverlight is windows based, good to see hardware encoding coming with Gotham.

Silverlight is a plugin for Windows and OS X. It's used by Netflix, LoveFilm Instant, and Sky (Now TV, Sky Go etc) on those platforms. However, they're all likely to switch to HTML5 now that the W3C has agreed to add DRM/Encrypted Media Extensions to the standard.

If you've access to Play store, Neflix and Sky both have apps available for 'droid, as well as iPlayer etc. If you've not, the apk files are available.

If you've access to Play store, Neflix and Sky both have apps available for 'droid, as well as iPlayer etc. If you've not, the apk files are available.

Im not sure all Android boxes do have access to the play store, but mine will so I'm glad about that. :)
I terms of hardware Android boxes seem superior, but is there anything they can't do, that other iptvs can? Can services like Futubox and NTV work on them, outside of simply utilising their integrated web browsers?

Problem is not all IPTV boxes are created equal in terms of feature sets. Also some can be "hacked" to add features that are not officially supported - e.g. XBMC on the ATV2, Plex on the NowTV box.

That does give me an ambitious idea though - try to create some sort of table with the various IPTV STBs, listing the OS/Firmware, base feature sets and community expanded feature sets.

That does give me an ambitious idea though - try to create some sort of table with the various IPTV STBs, listing the OS/Firmware, base feature sets and community expanded feature sets.

Sounds like a great idea. I'm sure most of tis info is easily found. I suspect the main problems will com with the Android boxes/sticks. There are so many of them out there (badged, rebadged, and those made by several small companies,) that these will probably be way more difficult to outline specs for.

The trouble with the stick droid units will be the fake one's . Have looked at Droid boxes and quite like the Sumvison x2 and the midnight mx2 as it seems they come with hardware encoders i believe and a modded xbmc to enable it .
Does anyone have experience of these as i've only started looking at these just recently.

The trouble with the stick droid units will be the fake one's . Have looked at Droid boxes and quite like the Sumvison x2 and the midnight mx2 as it seems they come with hardware encoders i believe and a modded xbmc to enable it .
Does anyone have experience of these as i've only started looking at these just recently.

I've just got the Minix X7, a quad core box with full access to the Play store and it's working well so far.
People buying fake ones need to do their research. I think fragmentation of the Android market could cause a problem but, as long as you buy a well supported box, in terms of firmware, These seem like the best iptv options to me

Back