Hardware Android Head Units for cars?

ADB100

Inactive User
Reaction score
Did a quick search but didn't see anything..

Anyone messing/developing stuff for Android head units in Cars?

ive seen a few things on the net where people have installed 7" (nexus) tablets via amps and the likes.... have a google mate

I've been looking into using a tablet as one too. The only issue I'm finding is using bluetooth handsfree for a phone. There doesn't seem to be a lot of info out there on it.

There are quite a few double din chinese units around on amazon & ebay. Mostly have Android 4.2 etc..

Most will play DVD's, do sat nav, play music from various sources, bluetooth handsfree etc..

Prices start from around £150 for a 7" screen double din unit.

I suppose it's easier to fit than messing about with a tablet or large phone, and they'll do eveything the tablet would anyway.

Dunno how good the android ones are.

The mrs has an older windows CE based unit and it's pretty good, install any sat nav you want (she switches between Sygic and Igo primo) plays MP3 from various sources and also blutooth hands free, easy menu system and now you can get them from around £45 (no sat navv) or £75 (with sat nav) for a 7" double din unit.

After a bit of googling i now know what a "head unit" is and realise my post above is a bit useless. :)

Anyhoo I still rate a DVD player outputting sound in 5.1 distinct channels, plus sub, and using a music DVD, made up from DTS encoded audio files, sounds much much better in my mrs car than a stereo CD souds in my car with a good stereo system with twice as many speakers. :)

For not much over £100 the Chinese variants are great value and provide GPS / WIFI / 3G. For much better quality the price can be 5x more :)

I paid £299 and run software called xdauto from xda. It looks good and is very stable. Fits into my VW Golf like OEM. I bought a NU-5261

Back