ambit 200..nearly done..a few more questions?

Midnight Tboy

Inactive User
Reaction score
Heya,

right - so I received my Max232 (thank you sooo much wayneeboy19117 ), pulled apart the ambit 200, and apart from not knowing that I needed to change Flow Control from Hardware to Xon/Xoff (well worked for me) I had no problems doing the flash....following the New Ambit 200 2008 Guide :)

Now I didnt have (what I think) any valid macs for my area at the time, so for the sake of completing the flash I used one of the macs I did find using DHCP Force from a few days ago...just for the sake of having it change to complete the process. I stopped short of the guide, from connecting to the 1337 page to disable all the firmware update etc options, until I get a proper mac in place :) Now I have a few questions if possible, some of which I dont know the answers...others just to clarify.

1. Once I have my new mac to try, can I now just connect to the 1337 page and type the new mac in there without needing to change anything else? or should I connect up the max232 again and run Ambitconfig.

2. Is it fairly safe to force a config file or is it really much wiser to find one that matches my box, ie 200 on a 20mb? When I scanned overnight using DHCPForce the majority of results where ambit120 mid configs? Now I saved the log file too - the list of macs dont tell what config they had set up doh!.

3. Now I've just been thrown off track now, as I'd read that have to find macs in own UBR then trade etc. I did orig run DHCP sniffer a while ago to test, which got a few before crashing...but then get a load of them comparatively quickly when I used DHCPForce from the haynes manual. I've now just read that if I use DHCP Sniffer...it finds macs that I CAN use in my UBR, and not ones to trade??? I thought that wouldnt have been possible (but a genius if it is :)). Does this mean though that my DHCP Force results, even though received faster DO need trading for a different gateway?

4. Now for my connection to pc. I "WAS" connected directly to ethernet...so it would have been a simple case of just running smac to spoof the mac address. Now I have only just yesterday bought and set up a wireless config. Now do I still need to configure smac or similar prog and have it spoof the mac of the wifi receiver which is a pci card? Or does the router block this info going out? Similarly, my router (TP-Link) when I connect to it has a Mac Clone section on it. This gives 2 options. Option 1 is WAN MAC Address which has a radio button saying Restore Factory Mac. Option 2 is Your PC's Mac Address with a radio button saying Clone MAC Address. Only the first option allows me to edit the mac address stored, the 2nd is grayed out (but radio button still pressable). Would these need to be altered do you think?

5. Is it physically possible to have my subbed modem connected upstairs (for checking VM mails etc if need to) running at 4mb (prob drop it to 2 however), and have the hacked box running at 20 downstairs, or would this cause lots of problems?

many thanks once more for your time and troubles, and hope in future I'll be able to help some of you guys out.

Tuck

ok...so in answer to a couple of my own questions I've managed to find that your site uses a diff program to spoof the mac than I found on an alternative site (now that I have other 20posts :)).....Smac 2.0 ...and I see that it also allows to spoof the mac of the wireless port..so obv I should spoof each :) I presume there's nothing else on pc that would warrant spoofing, as in could they perhaps request the mac of an alternative device.

So, how do I best spoof the router mac? I've just checked the mac values given in Smac 2.0 for my wireless adapter and they match the "Your PC's mac address" in the router settings....so presumably I shouldnt need to change that on the router itself if use Smac 2.0. The first option on the router "Wan Mac Address" am I right in presuming then that this would be the mac of the router itself...so again just change say the last 4-6 digits same as all the others?

Hi M8

Was just going to ask the same question as I am up to the same stage.

Did you manage to get sorted?

Back