5 Posts before being able to download

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: 5 Post's before being able to download

I am not worried about post clocking to be honest, I do expect some of course, they want downloads and nothing else... but what if we can tempt them with some good discussion from our fantastic members :)

Won't win them all but you never know might just give some the kick they need to be a part of the forums :)

Let's see how it goes lol... glad everyone find's this subject important :)

We have plenty planned for the members over the coming day's, and want to include everyone :)

Mick

What about a time period that they must serve from joining before access is allowed? Say 2 weeks or a month?

What about a time period that they must serve from joining before access is allowed? Say 2 weeks or a month?

about 36 hours be better,if you gotta wait 2 weeks a month you gonna go and go else where

Time periods won't work, people will join, realise they can't do Jack and not bother with the forum again, thus we end up with accounts just doing nothing.

5 is a little low imho, but it's a starting point 10 is probably more reasonable as people have to think (at least a little) rather than randomly posting.

I'm a little anal about things, but If I knew I had hundreds of newly registered/low post accounts sitting for three, four, five or 6 months without activity I would be deleting them :p

Time periods won't work, people will join, realise they can't do Jack and not bother with the forum again, thus we end up with accounts just doing nothing.

5 is a little low imho, but it's a starting point 10 is probably more reasonable as people have to think (at least a little) rather than randomly posting.

I'm a little anal about things, but If I knew I had hundreds of newly registered/low post accounts sitting for three, four, five or 6 months without activity I would be deleting them :p

What he said.

How about a system of extra thanks buttons, much like you have now, but extra ones for us newbies in order to build up a sufficient minimum rep.

Even if the posts weren't earth shatteringly useful but it was clear the new users were trying to be helpful and make a contribution then either we all, as members, or simply just the mods and admin, could click this second or newbie thanks button until they eventually got the required number to become a fully fledged member and thus gain access to the precious download section :banana: If it were mod/admin led it could therefore remain hidden/impartial from current members input.

Just throwing stuff out there in the hope it spurs someone on with something better to put forward ;)

What he said.

How about a system of extra thanks buttons, much like you have now, but extra ones for us newbies in order to build up a sufficient minimum rep.

Even if the posts weren't earth shatteringly useful but it was clear the new users were trying to be helpful and make a contribution then either we all, as members, or simply just the mods and admin, could click this second or newbie thanks button until they eventually got the required number to become a fully fledged member and thus gain access to the precious download section :banana: If it were mod/admin led it could therefore remain hidden/impartial from current members input.

Just throwing stuff out there in the hope it spurs someone on with something better to put forward ;)
If there was an 'extra thanks' button I'd press it for you right now mate. Twice. Once for your user name & 2nd time for yer post :Biggrin2:
Be a lot of extra work for mods/admin though!! Then again that's why they get the big bucks :silly:
5's too low IMHO, 10 reasonable posts but as said previously be a bloody lot of post-clocking to get to 10, take the d/l's & never be seen again.
HH.

Be a lot of extra work for mods/admin though!! Then again that's why they get the big bucks :silly:
5's too low IMHO, 10 reasonable posts but as said previously be a bloody lot of post-clocking to get to 10, take the d/l's & never be seen again.
HH.

That's a moot point about the extra work involved. I don't run a forum and never have so have no earthly idea what the forum software can and can't be made to do :err:

Perhaps after us members have thrown a few ideas about maybe the mods/admin could actually tell us what would be feasible, so we aren't throwing daft ideas about that are simply impossible to implement? Then maybe a poll/vote for best or most reasonable idea?

Or...how about a Paypal Gift of a few quid to jump the queue as far as fully paid up is concerned? If not to the site itself then maybe an appointed charity, in this time of goodwill, etc.? Just so the site can't be said to profit from the donations?

Just more daft ideas into the mix :D

we have been there and done 20 posts before like ianb says it just brings on post clocking.

Can we tag them as well mate and watch the feckers every move.:). You make DW sound like a life sentence.There are a lot of good members on here that would love to help but first, new members must show that they are willing to give something back to other members in return, hobbies are a good start to a conversation, get familiar with other members that's all.. Monitor the obvious questions they are asking and judge by that whether you want to reply or not.

well if we are going to go on about having another thanks button
i demand a button to say feck off your an idiot

Has the limit been upped as I have made more than 5 posts yet cannot download?

Has the limit been upped as I have made more than 5 posts yet cannot download?
Dont think so. But i think you may have to wait for the forum to update.
When did you break the 5 post count

Ian,

I'm still unable to download too. I passed the 5 count last night.

Tjanks,

IB.

Several of your posts are in the "who are you" forum. Aren't they excluded from the initial count?

I'm a little anal about things, but If I knew I had hundreds of newly registered/low post accounts sitting for three, four, five or 6 months without activity I would be deleting them

Post #24 from Exos.

Your idea about deleting accounts sounds good. If DW can monitor any activities with registered members then surely members that have not logged on for 6 months or more could be regarded as dormant accounts and thus deleted.

I'm sure that not all registered members contribute by posting. I'm certainly one of those. I log on to read the latest but if I have nothing to offer of any relevance or interests then I don't believe in simply posting cr*p. In my mind it just serves nothing except increasing ones post count.

Post #24 from Exos.

Your idea about deleting accounts sounds good. If DW can monitor any activities with registered members then surely members that have not logged on for 6 months or more could be regarded as dormant accounts and thus deleted.

I'm sure that not all registered members contribute by posting. I'm certainly one of those. I log on to read the latest but if I have nothing to offer of any relevance or interests then I don't believe in simply posting cr*p. In my mind it just serves nothing except increasing ones post count.
What a load of rubbish if we all took this attitude this forum would be nothing. Everybody can think of something to say. Its all about giving to the community as well as taking. My goodness its getting ridiculous now.

Post #24 from Exos.

That was me just dumping my thought process. You are leaving yourself open to comment with the last statement, however I do find it difficult to believe that forum members that register, download content, take what they need and leave have absolutely nothing to give back. Can't comment personally on you own usage habits, but I'm sure that if it's easy enough posting on a Facebook page or twitter what you had for lunch, they you can give something back to the community you take from.

In terms of random posts just to clock so you can download something then IMHO the accounts in question should be simply removed or post counts zeroed, but then again my tolerance level on that is lower. Personally I'm also in favor of things such as not allowing link visibility until similar criteria have been met.

I joined this forum in 2010, on the initial requirement of me needing something for one particular area, I focused on that area and posted questions and advice, then expanded it to the rest of the forum. It's not beyond others to do the same.

5 Post's before being able to download

I remember when I joined this community years ago there was a minimum post count it was no problem because I had a lot of questions to ask , but I have been inactive a few times for periods of over 6 months and had my account removed then re instated by admins Witch is kinda annoying I used to have VIP status but no longer have it due to my last re activation ,

I remember when I joined this community years ago there was a minimum post count it was no problem because I had a lot of questions to ask , but I have been inactive a few times for periods of over 6 months and had my account removed then re instated by admins Witch is kinda annoying I used to have VIP status but no longer have it due to my last re activation ,
Mate I am pretty sure if you told Admin or a mod that you are going to be absent from the forum for a while something could have been arranged. 6 Months without a word does seem rather a long time IMHO but that is just my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back