Thread: Kitchen Electrical Work

Forum: General DIY and Home Appliances

Guys, Just wondering if you could give me a bit of info please. I know nothing about electrical works but I have just had a new kitchen fitted, with an induction hob instead of my

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    DW Cash
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kitchen Electrical Work

Guys, Just wondering if you could give me a bit of info please.

I know nothing about electrical works but I have just had a new kitchen fitted, with an induction hob instead of my old gas hob. The replacement oven has been fitted to the old circuit with the isolator switch moved to a cupboard which all seems OK, and the new hob has been fitted to a new circuit, however this doesn't have an isolator switch. I just wondered if an isolator is no longer needed now since I have a modern consumer unit or should it still have one ?

Also, am I supposed to get some certification that the work has been done by a qualified electrician ?

Cheers

DW Cash
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Kitchen Electrical Work

All appliances should not only have isolators but they should also be accessible without removing the appliance.

Presumably the new circuit runs back to the consumer unit and has its own MCB? Induction hobs are, typically, 5-6kW loads so you would be looking at a 32A MCB and a 6mm feed.

It's a notifiable job (kitchen) so you should have a certificate and so should Building Control but two of thirds of electricians are not self-certifying...

...on the other hand is your consumer unit 17th Edition? That's dual-RCD basically. If not, even some self-certifying electricians won't issue a certificate if the new circuit is on the non-RCD side of the consumer unit for example.

DW Cash
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the reply.

I was with you right up to the '...on the other hand is your consumer unit 17th Edition?' I have no idea. The CU was installed about 7 years ago when it was swapped from an old Fuse Wire type.

I know he had to put a new wire in for the hob and a new breaker thingy in the CU but thats about it. He used the original "Cooker" isolator (with red switch and socket on) for the double oven but he didnt put a new switch in for the hob and I thought maybe the regulations had changed so I wouldn't need one, but it sounds like he should have installed one ?

DW Cash
    Trophies
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    834 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

If installed 7 years ago it might be that one side has RCD (sockets) and the other side will be the lighting without RCD.

If no RCD it's not the end of the world a £25 RCBO will sort it out, and then a certificate could be issued under the latest bs7671 regs and amendments!

I say could, because you will need an isolation switch for all appliances that are built in.

To be honest I would speak with the builders about this mate, they should be either providing a building control approved certificate (meaning building control has been notified if the electrician is not a member of a body like NICEIC, NAPPIT, ELECSA) or a certificate covered by the NICEIC, NAPPIT, ELECSA, ETC.

And any decent electrician knows how to wire a kitchen, it's probably the biggest diversity factor in a domestic, and they should know this!

Mick

DW Cash
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CU 7 years ago will be 16th Edition. Easy to tell, 17th Edition (IEE Wiring Regulations) CU will have two RCD and the circuits split like downstairs sockets on the same side as upstairs lights. An RCD looks a bit like an isolator but has a test button.

It's not unsafe to have no isolator but best practice to fit one so don't get too alarmed M8.

Kinda curious why he didn't feed the hob off the original circuit and add a spur for the oven - most modern fan ovens are well covered by a 13A fuse?

DW Cash
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your right Mick. I seem to remember a previous electrician had said that for £50 he could get my CU to current regs and that was by changing 2 of them breakers that were on the lighting circuit. I asked him to do it but I think we both forgot what with the other work he was doing (un-related to the kitchen).

DW Cash
    Trophies
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    834 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

You do not have to make a consumer unit to current regs... you only have to make new circuits / additions to current regulations.

However it sounds like he was doing you a favor at £50 though mate as RCBOS are expensive

you can squeeze them at £20ish depending on who is the box maker (some models are cheaper)

Mick

DW Cash
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As Mick suggests - retrofit RCBO is not a big job and well worth it. A word in the other guys ear about test and certify would be good

DW Cash
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Him Her View Post
    All appliances should not only have isolators but they should also be accessible without removing the appliance.
    Is this the red switch (with the socket on) that's by the oven ? I have one for the oven but NOT the hob, and its that that I am concerned about (if its a legality to have one or not).

Quote Originally Posted by Him Her View Post
    It's a notifiable job (kitchen) so you should have a certificate and so should Building Control but two of thirds of electricians are not self-certifying...
    So if I should have a cert and dont get one, who would I contact ?

Thanks.

DW Cash
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah, now you're in 'grey' land lol. The regulations are not statutory, they are advisory, so it's not a legal requirement to have an isolator - it's good practice.

Ask the installer for a certificate, if he can't provide one the other guy might do you an isolator and test/certify but strictly speaking electricians shouldn't test and certify someone else's work...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast