VU+ Duo vu duo stuck on red light

casuk

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
a friend had my duo for a while all was working fine, I got it back tonight and it just has the red led light on the front, remote dims the led if I press, tried to flash it but no response, is it a hardware fault

Most probably the c807 capacitor is failing. Best to switch off and leave it off until repaired. If you keep switching it on/off until it works, the regulators are likely to fail too.

There should a be a thread with pictures for the capacitor, but I cannot find it.

Most probably the c807 capacitor is failing. Best to switch off and leave it off until repaired. If you keep switching it on/off until it works, the regulators are likely to fail too.

There should a be a thread with pictures for the capacitor, but I cannot find it.
After doing some reading iv came to the same conclusion, iv found the cap but it looks fine to me how easy is it to change the cap
82c245b37d196c00f8c9de602e2a6726.jpg

After doing some reading iv came to the same conclusion, iv found the cap but it looks fine to me how easy is it to change the cap
82c245b37d196c00f8c9de602e2a6726.jpg

They all look fine mate ive done a few of these just snip the cap out and solder to the legs, you then have a cap you can bend away from the HDD the heat from the HDD been the reason the cap dries out in the first place.

Thanks m8, so its just a case of replacing the c807 cap and that should be it

Thanks m8, so its just a case of replacing the c807 cap and that should be it

Yes common fault easy fix

Do not have it powered on till you do the cap because that puts strain on the voltage regulators .

Maplins will have the cap for less than a £1 you will need to get one with the voltage above the standard 16v one it has in now simply because maplin dont stock the 16v one.

Clip the cap half way down with wire cutters and snip it away this leaves the old caps legs solder to the board. Then solder new cap on to the legs of the old cap and gently bend it away from the hdd caddy. It will not happen again then.

Got the cap and a 40w iron couldnt get flux in maplin i guess ill have to do without

Yes common fault easy fix

Do not have it powered on till you do the cap because that puts strain on the voltage regulators .

Maplins will have the cap for less than a £1 you will need to get one with the voltage above the standard 16v one it has in now simply because maplin dont stock the 16v one.

Clip the cap half way down with wire cutters and snip it away this leaves the old caps legs solder to the board. Then solder new cap on to the legs of the old cap and gently bend it away from the hdd caddy. It will not happen again then.
Thats me back in the house, will i need to remove the board to replace the cap

Thats me back in the house, will i need to remove the board to replace the cap

I dont bother i snip the cap high up at the top with small wire snips then snip down the side of the can and pull the can off the legs then i solder to the legs.

Just be careful.

I got it on, the small wires were quite small but i managed it, its a bit rough looking but its on and a little wiggle didnt snap it, its working and im very happy, thanks for ur help and advice

I got it on, the small wires were quite small but i managed it, its a bit rough looking but its on and a little wiggle didnt snap it, its working and im very happy, thanks for ur help and advice

Your welcome mate

Please you gave it a go and it worked for you. Nice one.

Me to was worried at first, it was very easy with some direction id recomend any one with same problem to give it a go

I hope not, iv had it on all day and seems ok so hopfully thats it,

Back