Zonealarm issue with windows update

Zooropa

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Pc was fine this morning come in from work and got a windows update which i excepted then nothing,couldnt get on-line at all,tried rebooting the modem,checking the wires,re-booting the pc but nothing so had too end up phoning ****** too see what was up,soon as i said i used zonealarm the chap knew straight away as he'd had a number of customers phoning saying that they couldnt get online,You have too go into add-remove and remove this windows update file KB951748 or un-install zonealarm,windows are looking into it too resolve this error

Have a read ere too

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2221138/microsoft-fix-kills-web

Just found out myself, came in downloaded update an then nowt no tinternet, done a system restore and everything is back to normal, anyone know of a good free firewall, NOT ZONEALARM. Thanks. :proud:

Thought I should do a quick update on this as I think I have discovered why ZA is having this issue with
KB951748.

I had not seen this or heard of it until mentioned on DW, until last night that is. A m8 called to say he lost the internet and sure enough he had. So I did all things to make sure it was not hardware etc causing the problem. I then thought about this post and looked at the windows updates and sure enough ther was KB951748.I removed this and the net connection was back on.

But I thought this was strange as I had not seen this issue on any PC's that I had worked on, all having ZA and the latest windows updates for XP all being installed by myself.

This machine di not have the windows SP3 update on it. So I updated that, now having got that down to a fine art. No problem with the PC or net connection.

I then thought maybe I should see what happens if I put KB951748 back on. So I did that and this time the net connection does not occur or reoccur.

So my guess is the issue is down to the fact that SP3 is required to be able to run ZA along side the KB951748 update.

Back