Zone Alarm

Dutcho

VIP POOF
VIP Member
Reaction score
I may of missed a post somewhere but ...

After the windows update I can't access the internet unless I switch of zone alarm, Anyone else ?

I'm sure I saw a post about it but cant find it

To be fair, this was not a MS issue but a general problem with the way DNS worked. Zone alarm is not the only firewall product and from what I understand they had access to the patch before it was released. The other firewall companies managed to get their products patched, why did ZA not get it done in time.

Never had the problem. The product has always been good form me and countless other PC's I've put it on.

Would agree karym6 though that on support issues they have a a lot to do.

Thought I should do a quick update on this as I think I have discovered why ZA is having a problem and the issue is with the windows update KB951748.

I had not seen this or heard of it until mentioned on DW, until last night that is. A m8 called to say he lost the internet and sure enough he had. So I did all things to make sure it was not hardware etc causing the problem. I then thought about this post and looked at the windows updates and sure enough ther was KB951748.I removed this and the net connection was back on.

But I thought this was strange as I had not seen this issue on any PC's that I had worked on, all having ZA and the latest windows updates for XP all being installed by myself.

This machine di not have the windows SP3 update on it. So I updated that, now having got that down to a fine art. No problem with the PC or net connection.

I then thought maybe I should see what happens if I put KB951748 back on. So I did that and this time the net connection does not occur or reoccur.

So my onclusion is the issue is down to the fact that SP3 is required to be able to run ZA along side the KB951748 update.

So my onclusion is the issue is down to the fact that SP3 is required to be able to run ZA along side the KB951748 update.

Not so mate, happens whether it's sp2 or sp3. All my rigs are sp3, all went down. My mates rigs are a mixture of sp2/3 and they all went down too...

Not so mate, happens whether it's sp2 or sp3. All my rigs are sp3, all went down. My mates rigs are a mixture of sp2/3 and they all went down too...

Then that's more of a puzzle Dazza m8 becuase all the boxes I have updated since with SP3, both XP Pro & Home, ZA Pro & Free, are all working fine now. But as stated I have not had this problem on my PC's at all!!

i found that zonealarms firewall internet secutity zone settings go to maximum causing total loss of the internet. Lower it to medium and the net works... strange. suppose there must be a way to have it on max and add the internet zone to the settings surely ?

Hmm the plot thickens because mine is set to max, and any machine I work on I set to max, but don't have the problem.

Hmm the plot thickens because mine is set to max, and any machine I work on I set to max, but don't have the problem.

Did this on 3 machines now, 2 running xp; 1 running vista hp. Checked and it was at max, lowered it to medium and they all work ok now without removing any updates etc....

Then that's more of a puzzle Dazza m8 becuase all the boxes I have updated since with SP3, both XP Pro & Home, ZA Pro & Free, are all working fine now. But as stated I have not had this problem on my PC's at all!!

Well, all I can say mate is my phone hasn't stopped since Patch Tuesday.

Any rigs that were set to update automatically, be they sp2, or sp3, have gone down.

All have been sorted over the phone with the quick fix of lowering the settings, and then pointing them to ZA support page where they've got the update and been on their way again. But I know for a fact they are running a mix or sp2/sp3 because I've usually built their rigs...!

Most odd you've escaped...

Not odd m8 just lucky, I guess! But I have found only one PC with the problem and that one I had not worked on for about 12 months, it had SP2 and it was the machine I talked of earlier in the post, and that's the way I resolved it. Mind you that's not to say more won't come to light if they have not been updating and suddenly do so. Meanwhile keeping an open mind on this one.

not if you got vista apparently, dont let you install the "patched" version mate, hence my post ::banana:

Sorry, I understood Vista wasn't affected....?! Seems to say that on the ZA Security update page as well...?

Latest Vista updates, can be found HERE though...

Back