Yet another Virgin Price increase

I just rang them to try and get a deal. At the moment I pay £43-74 per month for 200mb broadband.
The guy I spoke to was limited to what he could offer but immediately said £38 pm with the first month free. I said it wasn't good enough and having been a subscriber for over 16 years I hoped for better.
Fair play to him though cos he fired off an email to retentions so I was told to expect a phone call from them as they could perhaps offer me a better deal. I explained to him that the last broadband deal I ever asked for was 50mb. Since then I have been given 2 free upgrades which has cost me a packet, I never asked for a "free upgrade".

Shall report back when they get in touch

Never did get a call back from retentions so rang them again today. The guy I spoke to said he would get the guy I spoke to previously to call me back.
No phone call from them as yet and looks as though I won't get one either. Just checked my junk emails and they emailed me @ 5-00pm saying they were sorry to lose me and my services will disconnect on the date you were advised.
God knows when that is cos I haven't really spoken to anyone!! What a shitty way to deal with a customer of over 16 years.

Never did get a call back from retentions so rang them again today. The guy I spoke to said he would get the guy I spoke to previously to call me back.
No phone call from them as yet and looks as though I won't get one either. Just checked my junk emails and they emailed me @ 5-00pm saying they were sorry to lose me and my services will disconnect on the date you were advised.
God knows when that is cos I haven't really spoken to anyone!! What a shitty way to deal with a customer of over 16 years.

Stick with it, retentions will call before Your cancellation date.

Don't even know when that is @sneaker. Definitely not ringing them again, bit gutted tbh considering the time I've been with them, angry as well though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I never ask for retentions, I usually explain it's to much and cancel, then wait.

loyalty means shit no matter the provider they happy you stay
personally would tell them to cancel sub
like sly for me throw loads offers at me no idea how that lot works

I did try all that @sneaker
But it always on your mind if they don't ring back. I tried it and rung loads of ISP.
To be honest there's nothing out that comes close to vermin for internet. I tried BT for there fastest broadband.
It was slightly cheaper than vermin but they look a connection fee.
(I think it was £50)

other ISP are much cheaper but speeds around 10/15meg was no good for me.
I just bite the bullet and took another year with them £28pm.

Vermin seems to be completely different than sly with cancelling.
Sly will offer deals/discount there and then. Vermin won't.
Maybe hold out till last minute and see @chookey but there should be some room to work with you after 16 years with them.
(or so anyone would think but, money talks)

I did try all that @sneaker
But it always on your mind if they don't ring back. I tried it and rung loads of ISP.
To be honest there's nothing out that comes close to vermin for internet. I tried BT for there fastest broadband.
It was slightly cheaper than vermin but they look a connection fee.
(I think it was £50)

other ISP are much cheaper but speeds around 10/15meg was no good for me.
I just bite the bullet and took another year with them £28pm.

Vermin seems to be completely different than sly with cancelling.
Sly will offer deals/discount there and then. Vermin won't.
Maybe hold out till last minute and see @chookey but there should be some room to work with you after 16 years with them.
(or so anyone would think but, money talks)

You could have waited until the day before your disconnection and then cancelled the disconnection at the last minute.
They called your bluff and you bottled it.
You will probably never get another discount from them.
As for 10 -15 megs not being enough? are you sure are do you just think so?
I reduced from virgin 50 meg to sky 5 meg and not noticed a difference. I stream a lot too

You could have waited until the day before your disconnection and then cancelled the disconnection at the last minute.
They called your bluff and you bottled it.
You will probably never get another discount from them.
As for 10 -15 megs not being enough? are you sure are do you just think so?
I reduced from virgin 50 meg to sky 5 meg and not noticed a difference. I stream a lot too
you are right mate about holding out to the end. But sometimes the hassle is not worth it.
No way would 10-15meg do me. And 5 would just be worse.
All ever goes on here is streaming/gaming/downloading and loads of devices.
What is your ping on 5meg?

Ping is important for gaming. I just checked mine on 50meg and ping is 17ms.
I thought you needed Atleast 5meg to stream HD?

not virgin but with regards streaming HD my brother has really crap speeds between 2 & 3mb & streams HD content fine

Managed to get a deal with them a few weeks ago. I rang up to say I wanted to cancel, best they offered was to downgrade me from 150mb to 100mb at the standard pricing.

Received a phone call a few days later, explained to him that I was cancelling to sign up in the partner's name as they had an offer on their 200mb for £31 a month in comparison to the £36 I was currently paying. The guy put me on hold to speak to his manager as I also asked for £50 credit & the superhub 3.0 and got it :).

I've always wondered what people need 50+ megs for? Surely 10 is enough for HD streaming.

I've always wondered what people need 50+ megs for? Surely 10 is enough for HD streaming.

Because HD is very subjective. Some people are happy with 720p at shitty quality, some would prefer 720p at the best quality and the same goes for 1080p and now even 4K! That's not even including the DD, DTS, Atmos etc. audio tracks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tuesday morning I had no internet, logged into my Virgin account on my iphone and had been disconnected. I rang them and was reconnected later that day.
Received an email from them on Friday saying my next bill would be for £69-46. Checked my account and was being charged £18 something for contract termination and my loyalty discount had been removed and would have to pay £50-56pm instead of £43-74 which I had previously paid.

Rang this morning and had the contract termination penalty removed and put through to another department to try and get my loyalty bonus back. 20 minutes later I spoke to Connor who dropped my monthly to £37-25 for 6 months and £40-25 thereafter for 18 months. The £69-46 for next month has been reduced to £30-71.

A bit of a result in a way, but my first call to them I was offered £38pm but retentions could offer me a better deal. That phone call never came as promised and has cost me a further 3 calls and a few hours offline. Longevity appears to count for nothing with VM anymore. I am going to write a letter of complaint to them, not expecting anything to come from it mind you, mainly just to get it off my chest.
Strange that my internet speed has increased since I was reconnected though. Same vivid 200 package but a marked increase in speed?

I moved to a new flat 4 month ago, I Phoned Virmin and asked for a reconnection of my internet and TV, as it was a new build they couldn't connect me so they cancelled my account, a few days later I get an email stating I owe them £195.00 as I had broke my contract by cancelling early, ( I had 3 month left ) no amount of phone calls made any difference at all and all they said 'its in the contract', I'm with Plusnet now and don't miss Virmin at all

I moved to a new flat 4 month ago, I Phoned Virmin and asked for a reconnection of my internet and TV, as it was a new build they couldn't connect me so they cancelled my account, a few days later I get an email stating I owe them £195.00 as I had broke my contract by cancelling early, ( I had 3 month left ) no amount of phone calls made any difference at all and all they said 'its in the contract', I'm with Plusnet now and don't miss Virmin at all
I would of cancelled the direct debit.
After all your not in property where the contract was taken out.

Never really had an issue with VM customer services unless I speak to one of their international call centres which are simply awful. If you have a basic query they are fine but anything complicated seems to be beyond them and sounds like they read pre-approved answers from a sheet of paper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did cancel the DD, and they sent it to a Debt collection agency, I still haven't paid it.

My last contract with Virginmedia was going to run in January 2017 when they were going to remove all my discounts and it was going to cost me around £39 to £43. I decided to check out the deal BT was doing in the Black Friday sale and they were offering £180 cash back for signing up. I did my sums and worked out overall that BT would cost me £17 a month if I paid line rental up front this was a pound cheaper then Virginmedia. I signed up in the Black Friday Sale but told BT I did not want to be swapped over until my contract expired with Virgin so the sent a notification to seize the phone line to VM on a particular date. I got a call later from VM a week later asking about the phone line swapover so I explained about the BT deal and the £180 cash back, VM offered to cancel the line rental increased my BB from 50mb to 70mb free calls to mobiles from the landline and some special numbers for free all for £22.50 a month. I always find it best to have the competitors details handy if you want a better deal even better if it looks like you are ready leave.

Tuesday morning I had no internet, logged into my Virgin account on my iphone and had been disconnected. I rang them and was reconnected later that day.
Received an email from them on Friday saying my next bill would be for £69-46. Checked my account and was being charged £18 something for contract termination and my loyalty discount had been removed and would have to pay £50-56pm instead of £43-74 which I had previously paid.

Rang this morning and had the contract termination penalty removed and put through to another department to try and get my loyalty bonus back. 20 minutes later I spoke to Connor who dropped my monthly to £37-25 for 6 months and £40-25 thereafter for 18 months. The £69-46 for next month has been reduced to £30-71.

A bit of a result in a way, but my first call to them I was offered £38pm but retentions could offer me a better deal. That phone call never came as promised and has cost me a further 3 calls and a few hours offline. Longevity appears to count for nothing with VM anymore. I am going to write a letter of complaint to them, not expecting anything to come from it mind you, mainly just to get it off my chest.
Strange that my internet speed has increased since I was reconnected though. Same vivid 200 package but a marked increase in speed?

Looks like I need to ring them yet again. They emailed me a contract to sign which is way too much.
I know that the full price shouldn't come into effect for another 12 months but even so????
Contract.jpg

Back