Xtrend ET8500 Options

techygirl

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hubby’s Technomate box is on its way out and I have finally persuaded him to buy an Xtrend ET8500 with a view to me setting it up with the software required. Although we have had a few previous boxes, someone else has provided them already set up. This will be my first time setting up a box so no doubt I will be on here asking lots of questions.

My first question is probably the same as – how long is a piece of string!
What package should I go for? The box can be customised with tuners and initial software – what do I choose. Do I go for one DVB S2 and one DVB C/T/T2? Does this mean that it will run satellite and IPV? We specifically want Italian TV (and have a separate large dish to the main Sly dish)
And the choice of software is
Factory Default
OpenVIX
OpenPLI
OpenXTA
OpenATV

Which do I go for?

Background is here Another Newbie (post 3)

Buying tuners at outset works out cheaper than buying them individually later on. Going by the other thread, if you intend to have two signal wires from the dish/es, you will need two satellite tuners. Two tuners (with signal wires connected) allow flexibility with recordings.

You can run IPTV without a tuner.

Best you try the images and settle on the one you like most. The fundamentals are the same.

Thanks. So if I went for

2x DVB-S2 + 1x DVB-C/T/T2 COMBO Linux Enigma 2 Linux HD Digital Receiver PVR Ready

this would be 2 satellite tuners and one freeview tuner and would enable us to, say, watch a satellite channel and record a freeview channel.
So which software do I need to get preloaded?
(For me choosing the equipment is the difficult part, I will be more in my comfort zone installing any software)
The software that I listed, you have to make a choice when you buy it. I am wanting to download software from this forum to load onto it so does this make a difference to which one I ask for when I buy?

any time i get boxes from source in uk i always get them to flash with openvix image add internal hdd i like 1 tb as i record alot + 8gb kingston usb stick for flashing these boxes and i store epg to usb stick plugged into rear of box.

if you dont like the image you have the usb stick to change to another provider

if using openvix i prefare to go to the source

Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.

Last edited:
Right, so I am just about to press the pay button. I am going for the 2x DVB-S2 + 1x DVB-C/T/T2 combo with OpenVIX and 1TB HDD (and Kingston 8GB USB).

When it arrives, will I be able to switch it on and have it working out of the box (once adding my existing cline) until I have time to play and install the image in the download section:
https://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/eur...59-download-xtrend-et-8500-a.html#post2598859

(The reason why I am asking is that I have seen a guide elsewhere - setup guide for installing Openvix 4.2.001 for the Extrend ET8500 and am unsure if the instructions are if the box is totally blank with no software preinstalled or if I have to use this guide when I get my box anyway.)

Sorry about all the questions but I don’t want to get the box and brick I before I even start!

You won't have any channel data pre-loaded
You won't have the tuner configuration set to match what you connect to it.
You wont have any cams installed. You can install them from the plugin download server.
You will have to transfer CCcam.cfg file to /etc folder

Thanks for this, that makes sense, I will have to wait and put aside some time to spend in it then.

Thanks for this, that makes sense, I will have to wait and put aside some time to spend in it then.
techkygirl,The backup build i have uploaded on here includes every thing setup for you,I run mine with a motorized dish as well,Just pm me if you require any help with setting the box up

techkygirl,The backup build i have uploaded on here includes every thing setup for you,I run mine with a motorized dish as well,Just pm me if you require any help with setting the box up

Brill! Thanks lescantle. It is ordered now, Once it comes, I just have to find some time to sit down with it. (I am that sad person who sits down with the manual before setting things up!) We are away at the weekend so it will be next week sometime - fingers crossed the old box won't totally pack in before then. As I have said before I am comfortable with computers and techy stuff (I have a house full of tech) but I do need to know why I am doing things, hence all the questions.

Today im testing OPENATV 6 on the ET8500, seems to working very well, need some tweaks, i'm working on it, with OPENPLI had many freezes when using the remote .

I'll second openvix i have the et10000 tho

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Used Openvix on ET10000 with no problems for more than a year.
Tried OpenATV and found CCcam kept freezing so reverted back to Openvix.
Problem solved. Openvix rock solid for the Xtrend ET10000

Back