xtreamer pro hard drives

dilly1066

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
hi, ive recently bought a xtreamer pro, i had a 500g seagate 7200rpm hdrive i could temporarily use, now im in need of one to put in permanatly, i been looking at the bigger hard drives 2tb, but they all seem to be 5400rpm, my friend bought a sumvision media player with a 1tb hard drive in it and it wouldnt play big bluray files properly, was very jerky, so he swapped harddrive as one it had in was a seagate 5900rpm 16mb cache, with a samsung spinpoint 1tb 7200rpm 32mb cache and its plays the big bluray files fine now, theres a hitachi 7200rpm 32mb cache 2tb hard drive for under 100 pound but reviews say its very noise which i dont really want,theres a samsung 2tb 32mb cache 5400rpm for 75 pound but ive been googling and there different opionions on whether a 5400rpm drive will play big bluray files,so im just wondering what hard drives others have in there xtreamer pro or other media players ?
not wanting to pay more than 90 100 pounds, thanks

hi mate, sorry to dig out an old thread, but have you still got your xtreamer pro, if so whats your take on it as im looking for 1 to hook upto my projector, and also wire it to my net, have you tried the movie jukebox on it, as thats exactly what i want to do with mine if i buy 1, cheers!

hiya mate, i just sold it yesterday lol, i bought the xtreamer ultra couple of months ago, i think the pro is a great media player, to be honest i dint use the movie jukebox bit, i prefered to just have preview turned on in the settings and browse threw films normally but with preview turned on the front covers of the film would be there and you could press info button and it would tell you what the film was about and give you a rating, i would warn you though i have quite a big flaw on mine, i got a 2tb hard drive and after abpout 12 months id say films started disappearing, i couldnt work it out, went on xtreamer site and what it is xtreamer havent got a check disk command in there firmware, so when i plugged the xtreamer into my pc it always came up scan disk for errors, luckily that found everything and put it back and i dint lose anything, but then ive heard of people not having problems at all, so i think its the bigger the hard drive, so i would say plug the pro into your pc every couiple of weeks or so just to keep checking it, hjope that helps abit any more questions just let me know and il try to answer, a lad i know has bought the pro off me so could always nip down to his if theres something you really need to know, thanks

hmmm, thats what i was gunna do aswell, chuck a 2tb hard drive in it, then add another when needed, the preview mode sounds good, sort of no need for the jukebox if it does that anyway, i like the interface to look nice as well as work nice thats why its very important for me that it shows the covers for the films. read alot of different reviews on this box like, some claiming its the best box ever and some saying its total shite, lol, think its exactly what im looking for, how did you find the fans and running noise, was it ok!

in the settings you can change the fan speed, i always had it on low and you cant here it, medium you can here it abit, and loud you can hear it clear but it isnt loud, thats going by me having it in my bedroom though and on a night when everyones in bed and its totally silent you hear things more dont you, i dont think the fan will be a problem for you mate, well it wasnt on mine at all, i cant understand how anyone can say its shit, its a very good box, the lad who bought it off me thinks so aswell, ive just been round today to show him how to scan for covers etc etc, he prefered preview mode aswell,
have a look at this thread at the end of my post, its the bit about people getting hdrives corrupted abit but the last post was november 2010, so it may of been sorted to be honest with you, see my hard drive went corrupt on a early firmware so maybe it is sorted, i dont want to put you off as it is a really really great box, im just been honest really,

http://forum.xtreamer.net/topic/141...y-hdd/page__st__20__gopid__147346#entry147346

Last edited:
thanks for the info mate, its defo the box im gunna go for just need my refund off the other box 1st that iv just sent back, ordered my hard drives for it yesterday, looks like a cracking box to me, mine too is for the bedroom as thats where my projector is, just out of curiosity how much did ya sell it for, there going on amazon for £150 now with no hard drives. cant wait to get it and have a mess about and get it setup nice, from the clips iv watched on youtube its exactly what i want, did you have upto date software on it, think its 2.7 is it, did you have any other niggles with it!

I sold mine for 80 pound, to be honest i cant really remember if i had to update it when i got it but ive updated it sinceive had it, i used to update mine everytime a new firmware came out, i sold it with 2.7 on it, the ammount they have done to it with firmware updates since it came out is unreal i think, when i think back to when i got mine there wasnt half the stuff on it there is now, it really has jiust got better and better, only niggles i think you will have when you get it i thinnk is the covers and iinfo of movies side of things, you know scanning for the covers and stuff like that, will get the odd one wrong and probably have to rename a few things but thats just abit of time to mess about with it nothing major, like that with most players that scan for covrrs etc, but i really think you will be very happy with it, its really good foro storage aswell im sure on the laast firmware they made it so it can take 2 3tb hard drives so 6tb in total, i think they have some good updates coming with firmware 3.0 aswell as fair bit of talk about it on the xtreamer site, think people are looking forward to it,not sure what it is though, like i said i think you will be very happy with it, owt else i can help me just ask mate il do my best to help, thanks

thanks for all that mate, when im copying movies over, if i want the covers to go with them for preview mode, whats the file structure i need to set them up with, is it just a folder with the movie inside then the software will download the images and put them in the correct folders, iv already got 2.7 to go on it when it arrives if it hasnt already got it on, sure i'll get to grips with it anyway, looks like a great box, any help or tips or software for it you would recommend would be great, thanks for your input pal!

yes mate when you scan for covers etc it automatically puts it in the correct folder, i always set it up to go off the follder name as i just rename the folder and leave the actually file called what ever, it you are having every film in its own folder then its best to have just that folder and then the film inside it, like if you get some files in vob files they can be downloaded with the folder name and then in that folder there is another folder called video ts i think it is, you be better off transfering the files out of the video ts folder and into the main folder its self, so you download avatar, it will come down in a folder called avatar say, and its vob files, so inside the avatar folder is another folder called video ts (i think its usually called), transfer the files out of the video ts folder and into the avatar folder and then delete the video ts folder, other wise the preview on that movie wont be set up properly, as you will have to go into the avatar folder for the cover and details to show up, do what i said and it will show up when you are on the avatar folder, hope that makes sense lol, so in other words just have the main filem name folder and then the film inside the folder, avi files and mkv files are usually ok as they already come down in just the one folder, its not a major issue but its something that happened to me today as ant used xtreamer pro for a while and then remembered, you can also edit stuff manually threw your pc, you can type ip address into the browser and it coems up xtreamer pro, can navigate to films etc, then near the bottom of that first page you can click on jukebox, and that takes you to the jukebox configuration, you can upload your own covers and edit the details of the film, so sometimes if you get a rare film and you scan for covers etc and it cant find it, you can go to google images or something like that and find the cover for it, search for details of the film and enter a description and rating etc, best thing is to make sure the folders are named as correctly as possible so the scanning can do most of the work, heres a little video that might help you with that bit abit,

Xtreamer jukebox guide - part 2 - WI and adv functions - YouTube

cant think of anything else off the top of my head mate, hoep that helps abit, thanks

Back