xp to xp network wired to wireless help please?

rawsy

DW F1 Champ 2010, 14, 19, 20 and 22
VIP Member
Reaction score
hi guys thanks for reading... i hope someone can help as i have just dipped my toe in to the wirless world and have found it quiet easy appart from one thing. i shall start from the begining though.

i have had my main pc connected to the internet and my xbox for quiet some time working well throuh dual lan built in to my mother board. i have now added a belkin f5d7230-4 wireless router for my new laptop. everything connects to the internet fine and the xbox is streaming as before. but...... i am unable to create a network share between my laptop and pc. i am unexperienced with any networkin so i hope someone can help.

my setup is as follows

both pc and laptop are on xp pro

my modem connects directly to the router my laptop is wirless and my pc is wired via ethernet

thanks for anythoughts you may have

What do you mean when you say you cant create a network share? Have you made at least one shared folder on the PC's you want to use? Have you tried the network wizard in XP? Also, if you do have shared folders setup, make sure your firewall allows file sharing. Let me know how you get on.

It appears that your network / LAN is set up and functioning OK as you can access the internet from both the PC and Laptop.

The next step is to identify which drive or folder is to be shared.

Let's say you have a folder or drive on the PC that you want to share with the laptop.

On the PC desktop, my computer, select the drive that you want to share and right click, select security and sharing, follow the prompts.
This configures the folder or drive in sharing mode.

Then, on the laptop, my computer, tools, map network drive. with "reconnect at start-up" checked.

You're set... off you go and good luck

as above

also check the workgroup is the same for pc and laptop

control panel \ system \ computer name. if not changes it so both the same and re-boot.

u will get internet on both machines but no sharing if on diff workgroups.

the other thing to check is that they are on the same ip range, go to start \ run and in the box type cmd

when the dos box opens type ipconfig on pc and laptop

u should get 3 sets of ip sub net mask and gateway addresses

the ip's should be different but only the last set of numbers for example

the others should be the same.

let us know how u got on

thanks for the replys guys. i do have shared folders on both systems they are also both set to mshome for the work group. and they have ip adresses nearly identical to what you have shown. i have also tried with both software firewalls and the routers firewall switched off. this is what is confuseing me???? hope you guys have some ideas as i said im new to the networking cheers

if ur stll having probs ill upload remote admin it works a treat , can c each desktop and file share from each of the pcs as a last resort that is

have u mapped the drives also so when u should be able to see and click on each drive

i havent mapped the drives as i thought shareing a file would surffice and i didnt want to leave certain areas of my hdd open or openish on my network.

share a FILE ?

I believe that you must have at least a folder, so create a new folder and put your FILE into it and set up sharing on this. I seem to recall that you can set an account up that asks the remote computer for a userid and password (1st time)
this is inside XP system/user administration)

Then on the other (remote) computer, My Computer, Tools, Map Network Drive and follow the prompts...

\\workstation-name\folder-name

If the remote computer finds it, then it will ask for the userid/password and let you in, a check box in map network drive options, allows reconnect at logon as an option.

If this doesn't work, go down a layer and make sure that the TCP/IP stuff is communicating around your lan. The router needs to be set up so that it doesn't block any addresses or routes.

All workstations need to be able to see each other on your lan.

the term 'shared folder' does not me the my shared folder in my computer.
you have to right click the folder YOU want to share, click 'sharing and security'. then tick 'share this folder on the network', give the folder a name, then choose whether you want to allow people to change the files.

check ips and allow ip ranges/subnets etc wihin firewalls.
all should be good.

thanks for the replys uys. i beleive your right i need to look at my router and open the correct ports so i have been told. anyway myh motherboard has gone down so i wont be able to try anything till i get a new one thanks for your help thus far and i will probably be back soon hopfully

You dont need to open any ports on your router, as you are access machines on your network.

The ports are there to allow access to the outside world....the big black hole.

Back