XP System Recovery Problem

JonnyLuvRod

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi all.

I'm trying to save a friends laptop.

It won't boot from the hard drive. It gives the error - 'windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt'

So I've attempted to boot from CD to start the recovery console.

I've pressed 'R' to start the recovery when prompted but once windows reads from the disc, after a minute or two I get a blue screen saying windows has shut down the computer to save damage.

I can't get past this step to run a chdisk or replace the missing files so it will boot.

Is the Hard Drive knackered?

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks...

Are you sure the laptop is not overheating, its a common problem when the heatsinks get clogged up.

Aside from Hirens boot CD, I have had success with HawkPE DVD to repair boot problems before.

What file does it say is missing or corrupt?

Thanks for the responses guys.

I've tried both Hirens CD and HawkPE CD and neither get the PC to respond.

The message I get when attampting to boot from the HD is:

WINDOWS COULD NOT START BECAUSE THE FOLLOWING FILE IS MISSING OR CORRUPT = windows\system32\config\system

If I try and use the recovery disc I get the otion to press 'R' for repair and after a short while I get the dreaded blue screen stating the PC has shutdown to prevent furthr damage.

I'm just going round in circles!!!

Thanks again guys...

heres a link with instructions on how to fix this.

How to recover from a corrupted registry that prevents Windows XP from starting

Also u could take the drive out and use this and turn it into a drive where u can plug it into your own computer,transfer any important data to your comp and also do a repair from yours,i have done this many times before.
Once its plugged into yours u go to my computer,right click and properties then tools then error checking,should work a treat.

[ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000MRJIEA/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=103612307&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B001CWX71E&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=1MFHQZY228ATBX10C1ZB]MY-Link 2.5" USB2.0 IDE External Hard Drive Case: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo[/ame]

If it's shutting down to stop damage sounds like it's overheating. Either the fan has failed or like oneman says it's clogged up. I used to advice people put laptops on a bicuit tin lid, gives it air to breathe and acts like a heatsink!

Once you resolve that Here's a great guide i live by : How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install

Basically, do what you're doing, boot to the XP disk, select 'Install' - NOT recovery console (go like you're installing a new instance) . Accept the licence screen it will then detect the previous installation of XP - select repair. on that one - DONT install a new 1 from here. It will now re-install XP over the top of the old one but keeping your files/settings.

Like someone has said try and put the HD inside a 2.5" caddy and read it on another machine, failing that, download Ubuntu dont install it, just run the live cd, let it go into the actual Ubuntui OS, then exit it pretty much straight away, eject the ubuntu disc and see if it will boot into windows as normal. Linux has a far more advanced feature of fixing corrupt MBR and BOOT issue's...

if you can get to the recovery console type the following before you try the Ubuntu method, however it isnt a garanteed fix!

Type at the CMD prompt FIXMBR press enter
then type FIXBOOT press enter say yes to the responses...

it might help...

Thanks for all the tips and advice guys.... Very much appreciated...:Clap:

I've got a HD Caddy winging it's way to me so I'll give it a go using that method.

I think the fans had it too. I've blew all the muck out using a little compressed air gun at work and it blackened the sky!!!

I'll update this thread with my results with the HD Caddy.

Cheers again...:Cheers:

Thanks for all the tips and advice guys.... Very much appreciated...:Clap:

I've got a HD Caddy winging it's way to me so I'll give it a go using that method.

I think the fans had it too. I've blew all the muck out using a little compressed air gun at work and it blackened the sky!!!

I'll update this thread with my results with the HD Caddy.

Cheers again...:Cheers:

U should use a hoover

Hi all.

Sorry to bump the thread.

I've saved all my friends important photos and documents on the HD using the caddy, is it simply cleaner to now format the drive and re-install Windows using the original disks? Right clicking on the drive and selecting, properties, tools and error checking isn't finding any errors.

Or, is there a way to replace corrupt files in the windows registry now I can access all the contents of the drive?

Once again, thanks to everyone who has posted in this thread, very much appreciated guys...:Clap:

Back