xp problem

ronster

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi all, ive just installed xp on pc,all went according to plan apart from when i move the mouse over the task bar at the bottom of the screen the dreaded egg timer comes up and wont allow me to do anything.Cant even turn the pc off as i cant get into the start menu.This didnt happen the first time after installation, but when i changed some screen settings (so i could see the whole screen) it happens.Cant get back into the control panel to change anything coz i cant get into start menu.This is really buggin me coz it has to be something simple but WHAT.Can anybody help.Cheers:FRIGHT:

Hi all, ive just installed xp on pc,all went according to plan apart from when i move the mouse over the task bar at the bottom of the screen the dreaded egg timer comes up and wont allow me to do anything.Cant even turn the pc off as i cant get into the start menu.This didnt happen the first time after installation, but when i changed some screen settings (so i could see the whole screen) it happens.Cant get back into the control panel to change anything coz i cant get into start menu.This is really buggin me coz it has to be something simple but WHAT.Can anybody help.Cheers:FRIGHT:
start you pc in safe mode m8 u can change it then
hope this helps

You don't need to "get into start menu" to get to the control panel. All you need is to open an explorer (WindowsKey + E) and type "Control Panel" in to the address bar.

I have the same problem on a friends PC, is this anything to do with genuine xp download? Any help appreciated. Also getting an error code 'could not read memory at 0x745f2780 any help appreciated guys.

Fletcher

I have the same problem on a friends PC, is this anything to do with genuine xp download? Any help appreciated. Also getting an error code 'could not read memory at 0x745f2780 any help appreciated guys.

Fletcher

Remove Windows Installer 3.1 from Add/Remove programs and disable auto updates.

Download Windows Installer 3.1 Redistributable (v2) from the Microsft website and install it. Reboot the PC and then re-enable auto updates.

Problem fixed :)

Last edited:
just tried it ma self as i was having the same problem the windows ballons will now disapear when i click them but my task bar still does not work till the machine has been on for about 20 mins.

any ideas on that?

its a hassle using the shortcuts and u end up with about 3 browsers open when it does start working as every time i minimise a window i cant get it back open till it decides it's gonna show me them.

well just gonna make a wee edit here its no longer 20 mins now its about 3 minutes till the task bar starts showing whats open. so this time i only had 2 open.

just tried it ma self as i was having the same problem the windows ballons will now disapear when i click them but my task bar still does not work till the machine has been on for about 20 mins.

any ideas on that?

its a hassle using the shortcuts and u end up with about 3 browsers open when it does start working as every time i minimise a window i cant get it back open till it decides it's gonna show me them.

well just gonna make a wee edit here its no longer 20 mins now its about 3 minutes till the task bar starts showing whats open. so this time i only had 2 open.

i think this is a different problem. If you can load task manager as soon as possible, look at the processes and see if svchost.exe is constantly at 99%

ok i tried what you said once my torrents had finished downloading hence the delay and the cpu jumps from 49% to 99% and 100% and back and forth with it staying at 99 and 100 % for approx 2 - 3 mins after boot up

but its the system idle process that is using up all the resources 99% cpu and 14K of memory not the svchost.

Back