xp install probs. dell inspiron 1720

blackj90

Inactive User
Reaction score
hi guys,

has anyone here been successful installing xp pro on this laptop?

i jus got it yesterday and it came pre installed with windows vista home premium.

needless to say i think vista is muck lol, i def prefer xp and i def need to get xp installed.

problem im having is with the hard drive, as far as i am aware it is SATA.

When i try to do a clean install with the xp cd, setup initialises, but when it should come up with the list of hdd installed on the machine it doesnt, what it says is "windows cannot find any hard disks, please ensure your hard disk is powered on" or some shit like that lol.

after a few hours reading up on google i have discovered that i need to slipstream the drivers for the SATA hard drive on my laptop, into the xp pro cd i have.

Would anyone be able to give me any pointers on how to do this, and if its even feasible to do.
i have included a screenshot below of my belarc profile, not all devices are listed but all the main ones are as far as i can see.

Im not sure on this one as this is the first time i have came across this error, i have installed xp pro on machines that came preinstalled with vista on numerous occassions without any probs so am pretty stumped :proud: lol.

can anyone help me out?

many thanks and kindest regards.

Last edited:
You could either try another install of XP....I would suggest Last XP....it has the drivers built into it...

Or you could try making your own install disk with the drivers you need built in with Nlite...

Hope this helps.

Tony

Hi tony,

many thanks for the reply mate,

i took your advice and downloaded n nlite, i have slipstreamed in service pack three,
i just need to slipstream the SATA drivers but cant find them anywhere,

any pointers m8?

many thanks and kindest regards,

J!!

hi again kary,

dell have ceased support for xp.

if i download the vista drivers will they dell support that is giving any xp downloads is the german support site,
and as you can imagine, its not the easiest to understand, even with google translator lol.

have tried a search for generic sata drivers and drivers for the dell motherboard too but no joy,

any thoughts?

regards kary and thanks for all your help over the last two weeks with various problems lol

many thanks :-D

Last edited:
Hey Blackj90.

You could try the American site for the drivers they have them by the bucket load.

Try here...

Or have a download of the attachment...(taken from the Dell site..)

Have fun...

Everything you need to do can be found here,

http://www.driverpacks.net/

Use their utility and add the HDD driver pack to your XP installation. You can also add the network, video, wireless and other drivers at the same time.

You will also need a ISO management tool like UltraISO as well.

Built a XP install DVD with SP3 and all the drivers in around 30 minutes.

Back