XBox Sofmod

chuck2001

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Some years ago I softmoded my xbox, using SID 3.1 which has never caused me any problems.

Ive recently purchased another xbox off fleabay which I intend to put in an arcade machine. I want to softmod this xbox, with larger hardrive. Was wondering should I use SID 3.1 and the other usual software? Or should I use the last version 5.01. If the latter any ideas of where I could get it from?

I normally do things on the old philsophy, if it aint broke etc but am curious as to what 5.01 would bring.

Oh while I remember, im sure that when I sofmoded my original xbox I had to run some utilities from floppy disk in order to lock/unlock the HDD, is that still the case? If so might have to dig out old PC with floppy drive in.

Thanks in advance guys.

As far as I remember, to install a larger hard drive on the old xbox you had to lock the harddrive with a key which was unique to your xbox. The big problem was that not many IDE controllers / motherboard allowed you to do this. I doubt even fewer today allow it.

The easiest method was to get a hardware modded xbox (I have one with X3) and allowed you to unlock and lock a harddrive and change the key on it. All this assuming you can get a reliable IDE hard drive.

Back