Xbox Repair Guide

Sameira

Inactive User
Reaction score
Has any1 gt an Xbx Repair guide or no anything bout thm?

Whats wrong with it Sam, anything specific or were you just after some info?

I don't have a repair guide, but there's a few on here that will have had their mittens inside an xbox, myself included so shout up if you have a problem. :)

Are you getting an error code on the xbx ? hers a list of the codes with symptoms.....
0 - any - No error (duh)
1 - bootldr - Unknown exactly, something to do with checking the motherboard
2 - bootldr - Eeprom check failed
3 - bootldr - ??/not used
4 - bootldr - Ram check failed
5 - kernel - HDD not locked (retail bioses require the hd to be locked)
6 - kernel - Cannot unlock HDD
7 - kernel - HDD timeout
8 - kernel - No HDD found
9 - kernel - HDD parameters (PIO/DMA/or size {debug}, certain size minimum is required for debug)
10 - kernel - DVD timeout
11 - kernel - No DVD Found
12 - kernel - DVD parameters (PIO/DMA)
13 - kernel - Dashboard launch fail (due to missing/bad key, or anything else that would prevent it from running) and the dashboard didn't specify why it failed.
14 - dashboard - Error loading dashboard (dashboard generic error)
15 - - ??/not used
16 - dashboard - Other files to do with dashboard / dashboard settings (specific dashboard error)
17 - - ??/not used
18 - - ??/not used
19 - - ??/not used
20 - kernel - The dashboard was attempted to load and failed; It was a cold boot, and the dashboard didn't specify why it failed, but it (for some reason) needed to be noted that the dvd passed the challenge/response authentication
21 - anywhere - This error says that the machine was booted to display a error, basically someone told the machine to reboot (or launch a xbe) with this flag, and the error code just means its been rebooted by the flag
In closing:
21 was the highest number I could find, I don't think any thing is past that. And for the unknown ones, I couldn't find any reference to them at all, I don't believe they are used.
What are your symptoms ? what have you done or trying to do ??

i decided to fit it with a xecuter chip so i cud play inported games, followed all the guide , wen i turn it on it makes a beep, thn turns off, makes a beep thn turns off thn stys on with the eject button flashing green an red :(

I even disabled teh chip and also removed just teh chip of the board, (left the pin heder on) but its still the same :(:(

I've had a look around some of the other forums.

Do a google search for xbox FRAG (flashing red and green ;) ).

There are a few pointers out there.
If the d0 pin (the scary tiny one!) is grounded to the m/b with the screw, then the xbox will attempt to access the xecuter bios. If there is a problem with the LPC pin connections (the other pins) then you get 2 reboots then FRAG.

I think (and I could be wrong) that because you still have the pin header fitted, particularly the d0 that it will still be looking to boot from the xecuter bios.

If you've still got it in bits, lift the d0 from the ground screw, and then try it again with the chip out.
If that works, check your LPC pin out connections, screw down the d0, refit chip and try again.

Let us know how you get on with the first bit. Lets try to get it to boot to the M$ BIOS first. :)

I really thought we could have got it back to normal by taking off the d0 wire. BTW I was talking as if it was an xecuter 2.6 you had installed, as I have done loads of them, so apologies if I was confusing you :) The X3 seems to have a few more wires.
What version of xbox have you got, 1.0, 1.1,... or 1.6 as they're all slightly different, particularly v1.6
I'll have another look around for you.
Check that everything is connected properly again in the mean time as it should boot back to standard the way you have it at the mo'.
Here's the X3 post-installation Help pdf

edit: a problem I had (a silly one) was to try to boot it up without it connected to the TV. It won't boot if the AV plug isn't connected into the back.

Last edited:
Nice find Bard ! the trouble shooter about sums it up.....should be a sticky !!
Check between the pins no solder splashes / bridges......if in doubt remove all u have done and test......if its doing the same then worry ! if not start over .....
the troubles we go thru to play those imported games :)

The last few I've done I used the no-solder thingy, the matrix?
Worked spot on every time.
I've tried to desolder headers in the past and as long as you're handy with the iron and some braid it's not too bad. Heat is obviously the killer when soldering, so I'd avoid having to desolder if at all possible. (I killed a few PS2's in the early days, fried PCB anyone? :) )

The Bard said:
I really thought we could have got it back to normal by taking off the d0 wire. BTW I was talking as if it was an xecuter 2.6 you had installed, as I have done loads of them, so apologies if I was confusing you :) The X3 seems to have a few more wires.
What version of xbox have you got, 1.0, 1.1,... or 1.6 as they're all slightly different, particularly v1.6
I'll have another look around for you.
Check that everything is connected properly again in the mean time as it should boot back to standard the way you have it at the mo'.
Here's the X3 post-installation Help pdf
edit: a problem I had (a silly one) was to try to boot it up without it connected to the TV. It won't boot if the AV plug isn't connected into the back.

Yep it is the xecuter 2.6 im using, i hav a version 1.1 xbx

thnks for all the help so far :)

I'll keep trawling for similar probs, but at the moment I've ran out of ideas :(

If you've doubled checked everything is seated right, drives, game ports etc, removed the chip, took off the d0 and checked the header pins on the m/b for shorts then it "should" revert back to the M$ BIOS.
I take it you haven't got as far as trying to flash the chip BIOS?

Nope no flashing as of yet, what im going to do is remove everything i hav soldered on (cos my soldering is kinda dodgy), an hopefully i should get summat out of it...

Yep 2 boots thn FRAG after 2 boots u can hear the hardrive loading...

Is it still red and green, or could it be red and orange? (Not that green and orange look anything similar to each other, but worth checking :) )
Try a long press on the power button when turning on to see if that makes a difference.
I'm clutching at straws now m8 :(

Yep its RED, held the power button, no difference wotsoever :(

Sending it 2 a m8 tommorow 4 it 2 be cheked, hopefully its sumat obviouse....

Thnks for all the help m8, well apreciated :)

I had the same prob with mine.
I took the chip out and unsoldered every thing but still had the same prob.
Turned out id dropped a small blob of solder on one of the chips.
Sorted now.

Back