WTD:Mono Laser Printer

ste03

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi, im after a mono laser printer, i have been looking on ebay at some refurbished ones and found the Samsung ML1640 and the Lexmark E332N but just wondering if anyone had any reccomendations or has an old one lying about they dont use.
Thanks

Ste

I had a laserjet 5L for a while, small footprint, good quality, quiet and fairly fast if you can get hold of one.

Thanks just been looking at one, are they just LPT tho ?? i'd prefer ethernet enabled or usb

Ste

5L is parallel port, I think they switched to USB on 6L. I was using my with a jetdirect network adaptor that work was 'recycling'. You can get USB to parallel port cable but I don't know how well they work.

Looking for a network one idealy

Ste

I've got a couple of LaserJet III's you can have - may need some toner though.

Yeh mate that would be great :D does it have usb or network or just LPT??

Thanks mate

Laserjet III will be parallel port unless they have a jetdirect card in them in which case they will support ethernet as well.

It's easy to share a printer on windows if you want to have more than 1 PC printing to the printer.

Also you can get print server fairly cheap. I got a Sitecom USB print server for £10 from ebay, it has 2 usb ports so can be used with 2 printers, or 1 printer and a USB hard drive to share files. It also handles multi function printers too.

It's easy to share a printer on windows if you want to have more than 1 PC printing to the printer.

Also you can get print server fairly cheap. I got a Sitecom USB print server for £10 from ebay, it has 2 usb ports so can be used with 2 printers, or 1 printer and a USB hard drive to share files. It also handles multi function printers too.

Can it share a parallel printer which I think the lj3 is.

If you don't need the small footprint there are normally loads of refurb Hp 4050/4100/4200's on ebay for about £50. Toner is cheap and I get about 10000 pages out of them. Just make sure it's got a jetdirect card in. For the money they really are great and will happily do a few hundred k pages

Back