written off car

jammoboss

Inactive User
Reaction score
Just wondering wasnt a new law introduced in 2003 that cars written of at a c or d in 2003 onwards needs to go through a test before its aloud back on the road?

whats it called

thanks

VIC (Vehicle Identity Check), This is to check you have not bought a write off and put the VIN on a stolen car, you can get a list of VOSA stations on the DVLA website, you ring the VOSA sation directly and organise the time

Last edited:
i dont mean that, before a witten of car is aloud back on the road, it has to go through a safety test and can fail and not be aloud back on the road, im just wondering whats the name called.

As stated its a VIC to ensure the car hasn't been ringed, followed by a SVA (single vehicle approval) if its given a 'Q' plate.

Catagory D write offs may not need a VIC, check with VOSA.

More on VIC: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motorin...e/AdviceOnBuyingAndSellingAVehicle/DG_4022107

More on SVA: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motorin...icle/ImportingAndExportingAVehicle/DG_4022105
category D dont need a vic

problem is even if is repaired correctly
and u go for insuranec you have to tell them it was cat D
then if u have an accident they will not pay the full price it is worth they knock a % off

my car was a cat C

u have to get mot done before u take to vic

and always best to take the car repaired

5 - 10 mins and ur done

they give u a certificate then u can apply for road tax and log book

ive also seen a few cat d recorded that are a lot worse damaged than a cat c.
although the vic check isnt to test the quality of repair done,its a vechicle i.d check.

ive also seen a few cat d recorded that are a lot worse damaged than a cat c.
although the vic check isnt to test the quality of repair done,its a vechicle i.d check.

its all about ££££

if the car has value and the repairs dont cost more than the car then its a cat D

if the repairs cost more than the car then cat C

ive seen some porches which look like they should be scrapped going for cat D!

Back