Wreless roamming

D_Saint

New Member ++
Reaction score
Hello.

I have in my home 2 router, one from the operator and another for my private network, feed by that same gateway from operator with NAT. Connect to that router i have another one in the other side of the apartment as an AP with switch. It is possible to stablish wifi roaming from the main router to the AP? Thanks for explain.

roaming from one AP to another AP is determined by the device so both AP can have the same SSID security settings, and your device will determine which one to connect to, device roaming is based on the devices algorithms or thresholds to move to another Ap

in enterprise AP they have a standard defined, Inter-Access Point Protocol. IAPP is a method by which enterprise class APs can communicate with each other to optimise client roaming.

Yes you could set it up. But you'll need to configure both the AP and router to have/broadcast the same SSID, the AP then becomes a universal repeater. You maybe better off ditching the ISP router, and using a 3rd party one, depending on your budget you could get a draytek setup, but they're quite expensive.

Thank you for your help / explanations. In did i was searching for a "low budget" solution for home, so I would not have to change from SSID1 to SSID2 from one place to another in order to get better / strong signal. I have previouly tested having the same SSID for all switchs / AP but equipments did not react very well to that change and have difficulty to connect. I though it was regarding to some missing config, but besides SSID, encryp type (WPA2 or other) pw and channel i did not configured anything more. I equipment stayed confused to what AP thay should connect to...
I have a mikrotik Hpa Lite as my "personal" network router, and a ASUS AC750 as a switch with AP connected by cable to the mikrotik. SSID1 is in mikrotik and SSID2 is on my asus. If i connect phone or laptop to a specific SSID (1 or 2) things work ok. but with same SSID on both things get messy.

as I said it all depends on the wifi device, be it laptop phone etc and the roaming threshold it uses.

which is a signal strength (RSSI) value below which the client will consider its current AP to be too far away, and start doing scans to find a better AP to roam to

can you confirm the following

same SSID used on the AP's
same security settings and password on the the AP's
is the wifi channel thje same or not ?

Well, i will try again with same wifi configs (same SSID, channel, security / password and no tunnel between 2nd router and home ap). Afterwords i will place here my conclusions ... thanks. Previously, when i done this, equipment (mostly laptops) stated "different" networks in spite of same SSID. But i could have forget some parameter (different encription type but some password, or different channel)...

Back