Would you buy this laptop?

herbs

Inactive User
Reaction score
I'm considering buying this:
http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/uk/en/ho/WF05a/21675-38187-38191-38191-38191-81135219.html

Things that are important:
160Gb plus
over 2ghz core duo, my dad has a Turion 2ghz and it seems slow
Bluetooth and wifi
1080p mkv/whatever play back preferably by hdmi with no stuttering
Glassy screen as high res as possible, 14/15"
fairly good graphics card to be fine for Vista and to be fine for all the funky Ubuntu 3D stuff
Quite nice looking, it's kind of a treat for myself
Price - not more than £900

Not important:
Games, got an xbox
Webcam
Stupid media control buttons/remote controls
Software, Linux could knock a bit off the price

At the moment I use an IBM Thinkpad x31 1.6 Pentium M which i love but just isn't enough. I'm a bit worried the build quality on a lot of laptops isnt going to match it. The new ones aren't quite what I want at the moment and too expensive anway. I Could really use a bit more power on my lap, I find myself using VNC to do things on the desktop (Athlon x2 4.2) and I'm sick of it. I've looked at some of the Dell vostro range but without actually being able to go and see/touch one somewhere i'm not going to risk it. Sony have some nice light machines, but i'm not really a fan of Sony stuff in general. I'm a bit stuck having spent hours looking.

So, given the requirements would you get that or something else?

Thanks if you can help, i'm finding this more frustrating than choosing a new car. It has to be right, I live on it.

have a look at the sony viao range with blueray players and hdmi around £100 cheeper !!

I really can't find a sony for less with as fast a cpu. Don't really need the Bluray either.

I'm back looking at Vostros again. I see dell have different screen options on their 15.4 screens:
1280x800 which seems to be the norm
1440x900
1680x1050

I've not noticed any others with even an option, 1680x1050 sounds ideal...

Have a look at Rock laptops. they are excellent. and build quality is fantastic. dropped mine a few times lol. dunno about the price tho as i got mine wholesale price. i think they are based on Asus laptops.

also, dell arent bad. but in all honesty if i had to choose a laptop i woul go for HP.

also, dont go by the clock speed on a laptop. a 2ghz core duo means nothing.
look at the numbers, eg, t2500, t3500 and so on. you want something wit at least 6500 a the end.

Have a look at Rock laptops. they are excellent. and build quality is fantastic. dropped mine a few times lol. dunno about the price tho as i got mine wholesale price. i think they are based on Asus laptops.

also, dell arent bad. but in all honesty if i had to choose a laptop i woul go for HP.

also, dont go by the clock speed on a laptop. a 2ghz core duo means nothing.
look at the numbers, eg, t2500, t3500 and so on. you want something wit at least 6500 a the end.

It's a T9300

Back