Would I need a signal booster or attenuator?

as007

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hello

I have posted a thread eariler about how my modem keeps cutting off and that it only strated a few weeks ago when it has been working fine for almost 2 years. I connected the cable feed directly to the modem without going through a splitter and my internet worked fine. Today I plugged the splitter back in so that I could use my eurovox and modem at the same time but the modem has started to cut off again. I have took a screenshot of the modem readings and they dont seem correct but I'm not sure if I need a booster or attenuator based on these readings. I'm not even sure if all I need is a replacement splitter.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

P.S. Forgot to add im in an ex TW area if that helps

Hello

I have posted a thread eariler about how my modem keeps cutting off and that it only strated a few weeks ago when it has been working fine for almost 2 years. I connected the cable feed directly to the modem without going through a splitter and my internet worked fine. Today I plugged the splitter back in so that I could use my eurovox and modem at the same time but the modem has started to cut off again. I have took a
Thanks

P.S. Forgot to add im in an ex TW area if that helps
im pretty sure its ur splitter that is the problem!!! get another splitter try it

Thanks for your reply. I will try another splitter and see if that works but if that doesn't work then based on the readings in the screenshot would I need a booster or an attenuator? The reason I'm asking is because if I can use the same splitter I have already got and then use a booster/attenuator to get the correct readings then it would be better to do that then have to buy another splitter and then maybe have to go and buy a booster/attenuator also.

Thanks

Looks like a faulty splitter, both power levels are very high for what they should be, downstream power should be as close to 0dBmV as possible.

Looks like a faulty splitter, both power levels are very high for what they should be, downstream power should be as close to 0dBmV as possible.

I thought a negative figure for the downstream power level meant it was low? I think gentlex could be correct in saying the splitter is faulty (looking at the upstream), however, if that doesn't fix the problem then you may need to boost your signal.

EDIT:

If you plug in your modem directly to the feed and post the signal levels someone should be able to tell you whether you have a bad splitter. The splitter reduces the signal by about 3.5dB so if the direct connection is a lot higher than this then it means it is a faulty splitter!

Last edited:
Back