World Cup 2018: BBC iPlayer to stream matches in 4K HDR

joe516

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
The BBC is to stream dozens of World Cup matches live in 4K resolution and high dynamic range colour (HDR) to UK-based audiences in June and July.

It will mark the first time iPlayer has covered one of the major sporting events in such quality.

However, it will limit the number of screens with access, and will do so on a first-come first-served basis

BBC to stream World Cup football in 4K HDR

Mixed feelings about this, pleased they'll be showing it in 4K but first come, first served :rolleyes: WTF is that about??
HH.

More than likely FCFS cuz of bandwidth limitations. some IPTV HD channels can be 20+ GB per hour for me. i can only imagine what the 4K will be.

Anybody got the option to watch EGY v. URU now in 4K???
HH.

Watching it in 4k now. No option came up though

Edit........Quality has changed now, more like HD
Cheers @chookey No option for me either & defo not 4K (Virgin showed the Champions League Final in 4K for me & the quality was outstanding). I'll try again for the next BBC match;)
HH.
edit, I checked Freesat too in case Virgin weren't involved in the 'trial'

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Ooops, my bad. I'd tried the red button on Freesat & VM but no option to view the UHD stream. Only if i go thru the BBC iPlayer App on my telly do I get the option. Not blown away with the picture quality (seems rather dark, first impression pic quality not nearly as good as the Champ League final was) but still the option to try it 40 mins after the match started so either not much demand or thr trial is open to more than the 'tens of thousands' the said it would be limited to. Over a minute lag watching in UHD compared to realtime in HD or SD too:eek:
HH.

I went thru the BBC iPlayer App on my telly when I tried the Uruguay match @HappyH but didn't get the option for 4k. Tried today on the France game and only option was Live or from the beginning, definitely 4k though.
Wonder if it's because my video settings are set to highest quality available? I'm going to try the Argentina match @2pm and see if I get the 4k option before kick off time.

You know for sure if there's a BBC UHD logo in the top right corner of the screen mate @chookey. Not worth it for me earlier (poor P.Q. sound dropouts & buffering, so bad I went back to HD) but I'll try again for the next match too. Fingers crossed it's teething problems for the BBC & they can improve it.
HH.

Is there a uhd logo ? Or only way to tell is by eye ?
I'll be honest and can't see much difference between hd and uhd lol and I have a good tv

I went thru the BBC iPlayer App on my telly when I tried the Uruguay match @HappyH but didn't get the option for 4k. Tried today on the France game and only option was Live or from the beginning, definitely 4k though.
Wonder if it's because my video settings are set to highest quality available? I'm going to try the Argentina match @2pm and see if I get the 4k option before kick off time.
Argentina's on ITV :oops:

Is there a uhd logo ? Or only way to tell is by eye ?
I'll be honest and can't see much difference between hd and uhd lol and I have a good tv
BBC UHD logo.jpg
Not my personal photo @Rat but that's what I saw when I eventually found the 4K option.
HH.

Reactions: Rat
Sorry if I've missed it but where is uhd option mate

Not on the list :(

My tv isn't on that list either, Samsung UE43KS7500U 4K HDR. The picture was incredible but obviously down to the tv upscaling the HD.

My tv is Samsung UE55JS8500

The sets on the list probably have updated firmwares that aren't available yet for our models

Bit annoying though I have 1 down from top of the range tv and its only 2 years old (I think)

Back