World Cup 2010 - Foul-mouthed Anelka 'to be sent home'

DiamondGeezer

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
France and Chelsea striker Nicolas Anelka is reportedly to be sent home from the World Cup in disgrace after unleashing an astonishing foul-mouthed tirade at coach Raymond Domenech.

Anelka, who has now not recorded a shot on target in 429 minutes' play for Les Bleus, was criticised by Domenech during half-time of Thursday's 2-0 defeat to Mexico, according to French newspaper L'Equipe.

The 31-year-old, who missed training on Saturday, hit back with a volley of insults, telling Domenech to "go f*** yourself, dirty son of a whore."

And, following a disciplinary hearing with the French Football Federation, television channel Canal+ is reporting that Anelka, playing in his first World Cup, has been axed from the squad.

Domenech responded to the abuse by substituting Anelka, who was replaced by Andre-Pierre Gignac.

"OK. You're coming off," the 58-year-old coach said, before Mexico hit two second half goals to leave France staring at a group stage exit for the second time in three tournaments.

The 1998 champions and 2006 runners-up are facing an early exit in South Africa after emerging with just one point from their opening two Group A fixtures.

If Uruguay and Mexico draw their match, France, whose preparations were reportedly fraught with disputes between Domenech and his players, are out of the tournament, regardless of their result against hosts South Africa.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/19062010/58/world-cup-2010-foul-mouthed-anelka-sent-home.html

Is it just me or is there more action away from the pitch this year rather than on it ? So far the WC has been rather subdued and everyone seems to be losing their rag and considering it's a WC they look as though they don't want to be there.

You couldn't even make it up...................

BBC Sport - Football - World Cup 2010: France boycott training over Anelka row

France's players refused to train on Sunday following Nicolas Anelka's expulsion from the squad for verbally abusing coach Raymond Domenech.

Domenech read out a statement from his squad which said: "The French Football Federation did not at any time try to protect the group.

"To show our opposition to the decision taken [on Anelka], all the players decided not to take part in training."

The French Football Federation's managing director subsequently quit.

Moments before a public training session was about to begin, Domenech had to separate captain Patrice Evra and fitness coach Robert Duverne.

The players then left the pitch and walked towards the bus where they had a meeting with Domenech behind closed curtains.

"I am disgusted, I am quitting my post," FFF managing director Jean-Louis Valentin said immediately after the incident between Evra and Duverne, before driving off in his car.

"It's a scandal for the French, for the federation and the French team.

"They don't want to train. It's unacceptable. As for me, it's over. I'm leaving the federation. I'm sickened and disgusted."

Duverne is understood to have stormed away from an argument with Manchester United left-back Evra, throwing his accreditation badge to the ground.

Earlier on Sunday, coach Domenech had played down his row with Anelka and insisted the striker could have stayed with the squad had he apologised.

Anelka was sent home after insulting Domenech during the defeat by Mexico which has left France unlikely to qualify for the last 16.

"I had another chat with him and left open the possibility for him to apologise," said the 57-year-old. "[That was] something which he did not want to do."

But Domenech insisted the incident could have been dealt with without such damaging repercussions, had a leak to the media not escalated the problem.

"People cannot imagine the pressure," said Domenech, who took France to the final of the last World Cup in 2006.

"We are in a dressing room, the coach says something to a player who is already under pressure, he can react angrily, and with strong words.

"He did not react in the most suitable fashion. But it was just a guy sitting in his corner and muttering - that would not have mattered had it stayed there.

"What was important was that it made the front page of a newspaper, and that exposes the internal life of the squad."

He continued: "I sorted out the problem internally, and as far as I was concerned it was done and dusted.

"[But] the decision to exclude him was the right one. I am sorry for the children for whom the French team represents something. Anelka does not have the right to say such things."

Anelka's Chelsea team-mate John Terry, who is playing for England in South Africa, said he disagreed with the decision of the French Football Federation to send the former Arsenal and Real Madrid player home.

"As a person, you won't find a better man in football," he said.

"He's someone who's very quiet, obviously he's been in the game a long time, and he knows his football. If Nico had something to say to me, I'd stand up and listen.

"It's obviously the wrong decision. He's a great player as well."

Domenech has now led France for a record number of matches but his six-year stint as coach has been consistently controversial and he will be replaced by Bordeaux boss Laurent Blanc once their World Cup is over.

That will happen on Tuesday, unless they convincingly beat hosts South Africa in their final Group A encounter, and Uruguay and Mexico do not draw the other match.

And we thought England squad were letting down English fans...the French team is a joke.

Tossers should have just let Ireland go to the tournament, at least they would have shown appreciation and spirit being in the tournament.

Back