wont turn off

krazylegz

DW Member +
hi guys my pc just pis**s me off at times. eveything working fine till one night i pressed the shutdown button and went to bed. when i got up in the morning it was still on the blue screen saying "windows is shutting down.... please wait" so it's been like this for a week now and the only way i can get it turned off is by taking out the power lead. every thing else works ok including loading up. just this which is doing my head in!

its a hp2.6ghz with 768ddr ram using xp home service pack 2

any help on sorting this out would be appreciated

cheers

:BLOBBY:

Dutcho

VIP POOF
VIP Member
Sounds like it's having trouble closeing a program or maybe the network, goto start button/ run and type msconfig, remove programs by unticking them from startup until you find the program that is stopping it shutting down.

Devilfish

DW Regular
Have you recently added any USB devices to your PC, i.e. a keyboard or mouse from the same manufacturer...???

Have yo uinstalled any language support recently...???

krazylegz

DW Member +
tried turning everything off in msconfig. also tried the webpage link and no good. last thing i installed was a bluetooth adapter so i'll try to uninstall that and see if that helps. if it doesn't take it i'm looking at reformatting eh.

Devilfish

DW Regular
Yeh...try uninstalling the bluetooth adapter or remove it and do a system restore to a time when you know it shuts down properly!

dabchick

Inactive User
Hi mate, try this:-

RUN SECPOL.MSC - GOTO SECURITY OPTIONS - SHUTDOWN: DISABLE CLEAR VIRTUAL MEMORY PAGEFILE - and see if that fixes it!

krazylegz

DW Member +
still no joy with anything.
tried typing in secpol.msc in run but just says it cant find file.

sick as a chip now

lone.gunman

Inactive User
Just for info chaps, XP Home doesn't have the security policy snapin, that's why it says it can't find the file...

dabchick

Inactive User
Hi all, sorry for the "mis-information" I am an IT manager and we only use XP Pro, at home I also use the Pro version so I am not up to speed with XP Home!

krazylegz

DW Member +
its ok now got it sorted cheers guys.
just unistalled the bluetooth adapter including deleting the folders that were left in program files, ran system registry mechanic and all seems sorted. for now anyway

cheers everyone

TEST