Wont load or reconize all components

X-PAC

DW Member ++
Reaction score
i got an old dell pc which ive been trying to get running but i cant seem to get it going. It all started when i tried putting on a second hard disk
if i connect the 1st hard drive and cd rom. and turn computer screen it will turn on then if i go into bios it shows that the hard drive is connected but not the cd rom so then i exit that then it loads it comes up to a screen which says there was a problem last time etc etc etc. and asks if i wont to start in safe mode etc or last known good configuration or noramally which ever i click a loading line comes up reaches the end and freezes.
if any one can help me id be very gratefull.
thanks

Hmm...could be a variety of things. First off check that the jumper on the HDD is set to master & that the CD-rom is on slave (I assume they are both on the same IDE channel?? The same ribbon cable..), how long have you left it when trying to boot into safe mode? Sometimes they can be very slow loading into safe mode, does it scroll the screenwith all the drivers loading etc (you'll see lines ending agp.sys, ntfs.sys etc), then stop?
You could try booting with just the HDD attached, don't worry about the CDRom. Again, make sure you check the jumper on the the second HDD, if you attach that.
Check the jumper settings and then double check detected correctly in the BIOS.
What model Dell is it?
If it still won't boot into safe mode, I think I'd try a repair install of XP (I assume it has XP on it??)...
Let us know how you get on, any more questions...

the hard rive and cd rom are running on the same ribbon cable but in bios it doesnt say it has reconized the cd rw it was fine before it broke.
There is a jumper on the hard drive but i dont know what the correct poition is for it.
it scrolls the screenwith the drivers loading etc (you'll see lines ending agp.sys, ntfs.sys etc), and freezes while doing it i ve left it for 10 mins but it wen it freezes u can here the computer stop loading.

ive tried booting with just hard drive but its the same.
Its a dell optiplex gx1.
i wud try a repair install of xp but it wont reconize the cd rw in bios

Have a look on the web site for the HDD manufacturer, or the Dell web, for the jumper positions, & then check the CD-Rom jumper...Just a thought, I've just had, if it'll boot with the CD-Rom disconnected then you've probably got the jumper in the correct position, but double check it anyway
The jumpers normally have a marking on them somewhere near by..MA -master CS - cable select SL - slave
I've also got some Dell diagnostic tools, unzip them to a floppy & boot off that...should help you with hardware set-up

Back