wol wire from motherboard to pci network card

johnbhoy

Inactive User
Reaction score
been tryng to get wol working with my old pc . just want to switch it on remotely as it stuck in he loft connected to pc in the bedroom,
have got the asus p4s800 motherboard on it and could not get it to detect magic packet even though i had turned on bios options and ethernet port had light on it when power was off so was set up ok.

figured it wasjust a problem with the motherboard and not all etnernet ports respond to the magic packet so bought a 3com card as recommended for wol. now the problem is that i need to connect the power to the pci card with a wol cable. see here.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wake-on-LAN

only problem is the motherboard does not seem to have a three pin powerpoint for the wol calble. Am i screwed here ??? or can i plug it into something else.... ie take direct feed off other powersuppy connections or connect to the something else.

thanks

Your mobo needs to support the function, most business mobo do, not all consumer ones do. If you post your mobo make/model I am sure somebody will have a quick look for you.

Another option would be remote power socket. Maplin do a 4 way one for around 20 quid if I remember.

Which p4s800 version is it ? Was just looking on the asus site and this one for instance p4s800-MX has a wol capability according to asus.

foooking wierd . I have been trying to get this working for ages and then not long after i posted this. i read up more on the pci 2.2 stuff which my motherboard has. i have no idea what i have done differently (i am, harbouring suspicions about using the wrong broadcast address) but went back to the onboard lan and switched this on instead and then changed all the settings. ie started from scratch and tried again. it now works flawlessly. So dont need the new lan card i bought. typicalll..... anyhows not got it working so that i can switch on my pc in the loft using my n95 8gb. and then use the excellent salling clicker software to control my pc. media etc using my phone....... its chuffing excellent so it is. simple things........ am such a geek though....that this kinda shit makes me happy.:proud:

I'm with you on that one and just luv to work on this stuff, even better if there's a challenge. Going to look at the sialing clicker stuff to see what that's all about.

Goo to know you got it sorted anyway.

Aaaahh the salling clicker stuff is brilliant. Just runs as a small app on your pc. it works for lots of phones. You can then use your phone as a remote via wireless or bluetooth......but thats not all. you can use it to control the mouse pointer, select what music or videos to play using the phones screen menu. there is also a plugin that lets you type text into websearch or anything else using your mobile keybad( as if you were sending a txt), might seem labourious but for my set up its great as dont need keyboard for the bedroom lcd tv on the wall. not gonna be browsing internet much on that one anyway..... ahh love it....its been my best find this year... and er i dont work for them... he he.

check out the plugins/scripts you can get for it. the ones i use are:
windows media player (music)
media player classic (videos)
writer ( for keyboard strokes)
alt+esc ( toggle between applications)
system volume.

Thanks for the info m8 will be having a dabble with it to see what I can make it do.

Back