wiring for a lighter socket

mike361

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
so i bought as new lighter part for my van today took the old lighter out and there is three wires one is black one is yellow and there is another yellow one wich is not as thick as the others the only prob i got is that the new lighter has only two prong on it so what the hell

so i bought as new lighter part for my van today took the old lighter out and there is three wires one is black one is yellow and there is another yellow one wich is not as thick as the others the only prob i got is that the new lighter has only two prong on it so what the hell

Was the old lighter lit up at night , it may be the feed for that

Cheers

no it wasn`t but the new one does have that option but i have tryed a few time to wire it up but i keep blowing the fuses

i know which one is live due to the kit coming with a little light so i have touched each wire with that and when the yellow lights up that is the live one ,i thought it would have been the black
its the thick yellow one

well i let you know thanks for that so the other yellow wire what would that be for then thanks mate

well i let you know thanks for that so the other yellow wire what would that be for then thanks mate

turn the ignition on see if the yellow becomes live {if not} turn your lights on see if it becomes live

i know which one is live due to the kit coming with a little light so i have touched each wire with that and when the yellow lights up that is the live one ,i thought it would have been the black
its the thick yellow one

thats why you blew fuses m8 {black is nearly always earth on a car}

thick yellow will be 15amp live from ignition thin yellow will be 5amp live from lighting circuit black will be earth.wire thick yellow and black to lighter socket. make sureyour fuse is big enough

its a 15 amp fuse hopefully this will be it sorted cause i am looking like a idiot going in and out of halfords for fuses

Back