Wireless network sniffing?

name750

Inactive User
Reaction score
My Bro is on TW he's sad like me and has got no mates so can't get a local mac address.
He told me that when he first started using his wireless network he could walk around the house and pick up at least to other signals from somewhere else.

Could he drive down the road and start sniffing with his lap top and scan for a mac that way?

Also i read that TW don't use ambits and stand out when scanning.
I noticed when using solarwinds it gives different manafactures details in one of the columns.
Is this the nic and would it cover the ambit from being noticed?
Laters.................

As far as I know. You can use some software called Net Stumber. This allows you to find the MAC of the wireless router. so that you can see if they have encrypted the wireless LAN. If they have not it means you can connect to that Wireless signal and use there Internet connection.

But you can not pick up an AMBIT as they are behind the wireless router and it will only pick up the wireless Router MAC.

You can get Wireless Modems but these are not given out to the cable companies.

If your asking can you scan their UBR gateway the answer is no, The computer needs to be connected directly to the cable modem when using DHCPF.

Ah thats the answer i wanted.(Or my Brother wanted any how.
I have'nt had much luck with the mac trade.
He'll have to start making some friends.
Cheers...........................

name750 said:
Ah thats the answer i wanted.(Or my Brother wanted any how.
I have'nt had much luck with the mac trade.
He'll have to start making some friends.
Cheers...........................

No problem m8, ask on here sure, look for the MAC trade post!!!! Put in a request im sure theres some1 out there.

Back