Wireless High Gain Directional Antenna

GIO

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi, im looking to pick up my nieghbours network, shes the mouth of the street and decided to start using her bandwidth as mine is going down the tubes due to those a---ho..s at ******.
My bandwidth is suppose to be 10 meg reduced to 2.5meg at the times they set except its worse than dial-up speed.
I was going to buy a Wireless High Gain Directional Antenna , would this work to pick up her network or would it only boost mine,i know the purpose of it is to boost my distance but is it the same when u want to pick others up.
cheers
gio

I would just get a copy of backtrack3...A supported card such as a RTL8187L Chipset and then you can have your pick of the secure networks too....

There isn't a network in my street I don't know they key for...Altho I don't use them unless I have to ;)

I didn't realise you are being serious.

I've had mixed results with uni-directional aerials, mostly disappointing. Your best bet will be to put it on your roof point towards her house. But to honest, I have found the biggest issue to generally be the AP not the client. If she has it on the side of the house away from you and your house construction is solid then you could be next door and still not get a signal.

also, bear in mind that stealing other peoples broadband from a wireless connection is illegal, and people have been arrested for this.

I would just get a copy of backtrack3...A supported card such as a RTL8187L Chipset and then you can have your pick of the secure networks too....

There isn't a network in my street I don't know they key for...Altho I don't use them unless I have to ;)

cheers mate for the info,i'll look that up, but i still need to know if theres something i can use that will make me pick up a stronger signal from the networks in the street.

with the carry on with ****** i cant even get enough bandwidth just to get on the net.

i'll give it a few more days and i'll be on there backs to sort this shit.

gio

I didn't realise you are being serious.

I've had mixed results with uni-directional aerials, mostly disappointing. Your best bet will be to put it on your roof point towards her house. But to honest, I have found the biggest issue to generally be the AP not the client. If she has it on the side of the house away from you and your house construction is solid then you could be next door and still not get a signal.

i pick-up a bar or 2 from her sometimes,i would only use it in an emergency which is going to be a lot the way this mob is working right now.

if i go for something like this ( Wireless High Gain 6dBi Directional Antenna ) it will make my signal stronger but will it make me pick others up stronger.

also, bear in mind that stealing other peoples broadband from a wireless connection is illegal, and people have been arrested for this.

Lucky I don't steal bandwidth then....I just used to enjoy collecting football cards when I was a kid...Now I've grown up I collect wireless keys ;)

You can get around 12dB of forward gain from a Pringles tube.

There are many guides for making the Cantenna on the 'net :).

mmm i'm just eating a big tube of pringles :p

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

Hi Mate, i managed to get Backtrack 3,one prob im having is the built in wireless on the laptop is an Atheros chipset, the chipset is AR5007EG which says its unsupported.
Is there a way round this apart from having to go and buy a wireless dongle, i happen to have a couple of wireless dongles but none with a chipset that works.

I also just purchased a 2.4GHz 10 dbi WIFI Booster Ranger Extender Router Antenna for Wireless LAN Card + Magnetic stand from ebay. That was the full description for 99p and 1.99 postage.
Sounds shit at that price but u never know,let u no when it arrives from China which will probably be a month.

Unfortunately not...If the chipset isn't supported then either 1. It won't recognise the card or 2. It will recognise the card but you won't be able to inject...

A cheap lil dongle that is supported is the Netgear WG111 V2 See here

The only issue is you wont be able to attach your bigger antenna to that...

I,d recommend getting a ALFA AWUSO36H USB wireless aadaptor , it transmits at 500mw which is high powered compared to other wireless adaptors and has an external antenna socket,
get a tin can and make a cantenna, plenty of instructions out there, and they are a very good and cheap aerial for wireless..
I made one using a old whisky tin, simple to make and 12db, i attached mine to a small satelite dish too for that extra gain, coupled with the 500mw wireless adaptor i get sme pretty impressive results..
The adaptors also compatable for packet injection too when using airreplay on lnux if you need to use that for any Wep netowrks :)

ive done a lot of messin about with this shit and i still havent got a router that the antenna screws off lol.
I purchased one from ebay,good enough router NETGEAR WGT624 WIRELESS ROUTER + WG111 USB ADAPTOR KIT, good deal,managed to get it for £26.50, that was including postage.
Only thing was the bloody aerial didn't screw off.

So can anyone recommend one that does,maybe from ebay or somewhere cheap.

by the way, the above is worth about 63 quid,i'll sell for £30 and that will be postage incuded,lol, it refurbished which means it doesnt have software but i'll make that up and shove it in.

I,d recommend getting a ALFA AWUSO36H USB wireless aadaptor , it transmits at 500mw which is high powered compared to other wireless adaptors and has an external antenna socket,
get a tin can and make a cantenna, plenty of instructions out there, and they are a very good and cheap aerial for wireless..
I made one using a old whisky tin, simple to make and 12db, i attached mine to a small satelite dish too for that extra gain, coupled with the 500mw wireless adaptor i get sme pretty impressive results..
The adaptors also compatable for packet injection too when using airreplay on lnux if you need to use that for any Wep netowrks :)

this guys got the right idea. just popping an antenna on a normal wifi card is like putting a heavier boot on an accelerator pedal............you always end up in the same place just a bit faster lol.

the alfa networks usb card is the dogs danglys m8, 500mw of transmit power on a receive sensi of about 93dBi is just waht you`ll need. and its full compatible with backtrack (all ver), by the way "wesside-ng -i wlan0 -v `victims mac` " is the best command on bt3 lol.

you can pick them up for £43 on e-bay now, just bought another yesterday. bargain and well worth the money.

lots of things to take into account when it comes to wireless though, dBi / dBm signal loss etc etc.

your best bet would be this.

alfa networks usb card.
mini b female to mini male usb extention lead (hard to get hold of, may have to make one)
decent 12dbi omni antenna.
cheape e-bay mag base .

this is how ive got one set up.

ive fixed a small metal plate to the side of my house on the second floor to which is fixed my el cheapo mag base and a cheapo 12dBi omni antenna.
the patch lead (rpsma) comes through the wall, its a very short lead only 1 meter in lengh so only a couple of dBi signal loss, if you run a long cable from the antenna to the client / access point you will loose alot of signal , hence why new antennas have built in access points or clients so the leads can be short, no signal is lost over digital. so from my mag mount to client (alfa) there is the pigtail 1m cable, and then from the usb alfa networks client i have a custom made 7 meter usb lead, mini b female to mini b male. this then connects to the standard dual usb alfa cable and goes into my pc.

on this little setup i get many, many networks. i can even connect to a school 2 miles away in direct line of site :D

lot of factors to consider, but seriously , get the alfa, use backtrack to crack networks and play (your own of course :eek: ) save spending money on equipment which isnt up to the job.

hope this helps.

Back