wireless-clueless

bonehead

Member ++
Reaction score
hi all just tring to set up a wireless conection come across first problem,i am on tw broadband,set up wizard askes do i have dynamic ip adress or do i have static ip adresstried dynamicbecause it only asked for mac addy so i got that off tv box,static ip adress asks for
ip adress assigned bye your isp
subnet mask
isp router adress
dns adress
if i need to use this could anyone tell me where to find them ,
cheers :Cheers:

well thats a fairly simply question the ip addy from your isp is found by clicking

run / ipconfig / return

that will give you your ip addy but the router should find everything automaticly all you need to enter is your user name and password and a ssid name it should set up the settings automaticly

cheers m8 tried top run that but no joy,is it the same addy that i can see when i go into the network conections also whitch do i use static ip or dynamic ip also what is a ssid name cheers

OK M8 give us an idea of what we are working with, pc connecting to wireless lappy via router/switch etc/sharing broadband - printers ??

I can point you in the right direction with addys then..:)

Regards

ok m8
here we go
i have desktop on net tw broadband surfboard modem
laptop -whitch i want to connect with wireless,have pcmia card for it but not configured yet
wireless router thats it just basic stuff i suppose if you know what your doing,lol
as i said in previous post i dont know whitch settings to use or where to find them.
there is no switch,and only this pc connected to broadand conection.
hope i have given you enough info to help me
cheers
ps i have to go out now,work calls ,i will have a go at any sugestions in morning
thanks again

Cool, Have a read of this and let me know what u have in place or not we might need to go back to scratch here.

Firstly im assuming you have the modem connected to your pc via usb, if you have i would reset the router and re boot pc.Also at this point take out the wireless card in lappy. You need to have the modem connected to the ethernet port on the router.

Next is to set each pc ip addy, Right click on my network places and select prop, select tcp/ip and again prop. In here you need to enter a static ip addy, for example 192.168.1.2 (your router needs to be the first in the string - eg 192.168.1.1 - this will be whatever you type to get into setup of router). Subnet mask will be 255.255.255.0. Gateway will be same as router and you need to again fill this in 4 preferred gateway. Do the same on lappy but use next in string ie 192.168.1.3.

Then make sure pc is working on net, insert wireless card on lappy and reboot this should detect network settings and kick in....

Regards

wireless clueless

ok m8
tried that but i think i am doing something wrong,this is how i did it
openedmy network as you said
got diologue panel that said from top to bottom
obtain ip address automaticly
use following ip address,i used this one,put in the one thaty gives me the setup wizard for modem
subnet 255.255.255.0
default gateway i used the same as above
i cannot see anything for prefared gateway
underneath this panel is on for dns,this also says obtain automaticly,or usefollowing dns server,is this the same as prefared gateway,or is that someware else
sorry for being a bit slow
ps i have tried these settings and i get the message that there is an ip conflict,so i have to take out router reboot and do a repair conection to get back on net

bonehead said:
ok m8
tried that but i think i am doing something wrong,this is how i did it
openedmy network as you said
got diologue panel that said from top to bottom
obtain ip address automaticly
use following ip address,i used this one,put in the one thaty gives me the setup wizard for modem
subnet 255.255.255.0
default gateway i used the same as above
i cannot see anything for prefared gateway
underneath this panel is on for dns,this also says obtain automaticly,or usefollowing dns server,is this the same as prefared gateway,or is that someware else
sorry for being a bit slow
ps i have tried these settings and i get the message that there is an ip conflict,so i have to take out router reboot and do a repair conection to get back on net

Ok m8, sorry its prob me as im doing it from memory....;)

Right, the router will have its own ip addy ,this needs to be the first in the chain...eg 192.168.1.1...

Each pc then needs to follow suit so pc 192.168.1.2, lappy 192.168.1.3. This goes in use the following address. Your subnet is ok....gateway needs to be ip addy of Router..so in my example 192.168.1.1. Preferred gareway is corect m8 should be in the next set of boxes down (comprising two). And again needs to be same as your router ip addy.

These are your static ip's....and will need to be set in setup of router as well.

Feel free to pm me with your settings if u dont want to post them on here m8.
Regards

@Bonehead, m8 I may be jumping in behind where you are, but
When I set up my wireless on TW I cloned my old router mac address to the new wireless box. Thats what TW look at, then your IP addy will be dynamic unless you pay a premium for dedicated IP addresses, like the system here at work. Do you have any computers connected by LAN connections, cos if you do get them working first.

wireless cluless

hi bluesboy,you cannot jump in behind where i am up to because i havnt got anywere yet lol. i am still trying to get the router to work hard wired ,not doing anything wireless yet ,cannot get one to see the other .
wiz has ,as you can see from posts been giving me loads of help,its just me i can`t seem to grasp what figures go where.
where,or what is dynamic ip is it the same as the one on desktop or do i alter it,if so to what
cheers

well i dont know what i have done different from yesterday but i now have my desktop working through router,watch this space ,now for a go at lappy ..........oh my god
bonehead

Just for your info a Dynamic ip addy is 1 that changes each time you connect to the internet whilst a static 1 is one that remains constant each time you log on....i use static ip's because of having several pc's connecting to the internet at various times and they dont have to search for a spare ip addy on my network to gain access.

Regards

Good, now as long as you have the same ip's on your laptop with the ip addy divisable by 1 it should detect your network and kick in auto....

im sure posted before but anyhow thanks all everything is now working,so thanks everyone for all the help,i would still be scratching my head cheers

Back