WinxP PXE cannot see Win7 share.

witchy

Banned for good!
Reaction score
A mate has fallen out with his wife and she's locked him out of his netbook by setting an admin account and is refusing to tell him the password.

The machine is a HP Compaq 1100 running XP and it has no dvd drive, the machine also does not boot from USB.

That leaves me with a LAN install.

Anyway, God knows how but I managed to get it working by setting up a TFTP server on my own Win7 machine hosting bootpxe.com and it worked, so now his laptop is showing a command prompt...woohoo!

Problem now is that although I've enabled sharing on my Win7 machine to allow full access to my DVD drive (which contains the install disc for WinXP) the XP machine cannot see it. :(

I'm trying to connect with this command..

Net Use e: //192.168.1.5/cd

which gives me "windows cannot find the network path - Error 51"

*192.168.1.5 is the correct IP of my PC
*cd is the name I've given the share.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

A mate has fallen out with his wife and she's locked him out of his netbook by setting an admin account and is refusing to tell him the password.

The machine is a HP Compaq 1100 running XP and it has no dvd drive, the machine also does not boot from USB.

That leaves me with a LAN install.

Anyway, God knows how but I managed to get it working by setting up a TFTP server on my own Win7 machine hosting bootpxe.com and it worked, so now his laptop is showing a command prompt...woohoo!

Problem now is that although I've enabled sharing on my Win7 machine to allow full access to my DVD drive (which contains the install disc for WinXP) the XP machine cannot see it. :(

I'm trying to connect with this command..

Net Use e: //192.168.1.5/cd

which gives me "windows cannot find the network path - Error 51"

*192.168.1.5 is the correct IP of my PC
*cd is the name I've given the share.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

My first thought was that Win7 shares are 128bit so XP will struggle. Trying reducing it to 40-50bit in networking and connection settings and see if this makes a difference. Hope it helps

Still the same mate, it cannt see my Win7 shares at all by the looks of it.

All this just to scrub a blimming admin account, lol.

Try and create a folder share directly on the Win 7 machine, see if that makes a difference

Can you easily take the hard drive out of the netbook?

have u tried running the machine in safemode i know vista allows u to get in to the pc in safe mode even when its passworded up

lol, as simple as that. :)

I'm trying something else just now, if this fails I'll rip the drive out.

Can u recommend any recovery discs, one of the linux rescue disks?

I'm a complete knob.

:(

I had a brainwave to format the drive from within PXE , the format went fine but the install of XP from my usb stick (mounted within PXE) didn't.

Now I have no OS from which to recover any passwords!

lol

I wonder if running Winnt.exe directly from the i386 folder will help...?

Success! :)

Running Winnt.exe directly allowed the install to go ahead. :)

It's currently purring away installing XP SP3

Not quite sorted mate, lol

The installation got so far then went back to the dos prompt.

I checked on my HDD and it has installed quite a few files there but the disk won't boot and continue the install. :err:

Did you create a partition prior to the install or let the install make the partition and set it bootable ?

Looks like I need to streamline sata drivers into the XP install.

It's kicking me out just as it tries to access the HDD.

Looks like I need to streamline sata drivers into the XP install.

It's kicking me out just as it tries to access the HDD.

Sata drivers are integrated in SP3 unless you are using a RAID controller.

You will know if HDD controller driver is missing because when you get to the screen asking which partition to install to, there will be no partitions found.

tell your m8 to get his own back, lock her out the router, turn on (Access Control) and dont add her mac address to the router making sure he changes password for router so she cant log into it.

Back