WinxP PXE cannot see Win7 share.

witchy

Banned for good!
Reaction score
A mate has fallen out with his wife and she's locked him out of his netbook by setting an admin account and is refusing to tell him the password.

The machine is a HP Compaq 1100 running XP and it has no dvd drive, the machine also does not boot from USB.

That leaves me with a LAN install.

Anyway, God knows how but I managed to get it working by setting up a TFTP server on my own Win7 machine hosting bootpxe.com and it worked, so now his laptop is showing a command prompt...woohoo!

Problem now is that although I've enabled sharing on my Win7 machine to allow full access to my DVD drive (which contains the install disc for WinXP) the XP machine cannot see it. :(

I'm trying to connect with this command..

Net Use e: //192.168.1.5/cd

which gives me "windows cannot find the network path - Error 51"

*192.168.1.5 is the correct IP of my PC
*cd is the name I've given the share.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

BSOD code for storage controller driver is 00000006 or 7 if I remember correctly.

I don't think sata driver is the problem though, I would not expect that to blue screen the machine. Couple of things come to mind,
- Duff installation media
- Memory problems
- HDD has bad sectors. Could you take it out and do a long format in another machine ?

I've went back to the PXE method, this time I'm trying the transfer from a WinXP Virtual machine. Hopefully I'll have better results working with 2 XP enviroments.

Last night I grabbed a diffrent .iso of XP SP3, this time it got beyond the BSOD but then it started getting errors copying files and I ended up having to skip about 50 files!

So yes, I agree it's probably my usb sticks that are shit.

The machine won't see any of my decent sticks, it only seems to accept the cheaper sticks.

Well.....lol..

I decided to test install on my own Netbook - bad idea.

The install completed right to the end but when it restarted it failed to boot and gave me a "could not find your OS' type error, I checked my boot.ini which was fine, I ran fixmbr etc and nothing worked. I'll try Hirens rescue discs on that later.

Back to my mates netbook....it won't boot from my external HDD nor my Sandisc cruizer, but it WILL read from some cheap chinese clone sticks, but these give file errors during setup so they are useless. Strange thing is, I actually managed to install XP onto my own netbook using the same cheap device, no read errors at all, but then again that machine has refused to boot up.

The XP Virtual Machine method was confusing the ass off me so I scrapped that idea, so now I'm running XP on my main Desktop, this will run a TFTP server hosting an unpacked copy of an XP Pro iso - please please please work, I'm getting fed up with this, lol.

A mate has fallen out with his wife and she's locked him out of his netbook by setting an admin account and is refusing to tell him the password.

The machine is a HP Compaq 1100 running XP and it has no dvd drive, the machine also does not boot from USB.

That leaves me with a LAN install.

Anyway, God knows how but I managed to get it working by setting up a TFTP server on my own Win7 machine hosting bootpxe.com and it worked, so now his laptop is showing a command prompt...woohoo!

Problem now is that although I've enabled sharing on my Win7 machine to allow full access to my DVD drive (which contains the install disc for WinXP) the XP machine cannot see it. :(

I'm trying to connect with this command..

Net Use e: //192.168.1.5/cd

which gives me "windows cannot find the network path - Error 51"

*192.168.1.5 is the correct IP of my PC
*cd is the name I've given the share.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

not sure if this is fixed, but when you boot up the laptop via PXE what image do you boot up with

I have set up a PXE's (finally see me other thread on here) and got it to boot up a winodws 98 floppy image that gives network access and thus I can map a drive and install XP again

Jfish, I was being booted into an XP enviroment, that side of things I'm sure was ok. I think my problem was with the shares on my Win7 machine.

When I say problem, I mean I don't know how to network share properly on Win7. :)

Win7 sharing can be a pain. If its in a homegroup fine but connecting to lower level windows clients requires you to change default share level and file level permissions so everyone group has access. You will also need to logon from XP machine with an account and password that matches one on the Win7 machine.

Back