Windows Update service pack 3

Zooropa

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Just done an update and got this service pack 3 update for xp,has anyone downloaded it yet as its asked me too backup my whole pc b4 i install it

didn't MS delay SP3 due to probs with it recently? would suggest you hang fire until you find out.

Wat about the backing the pc up MH,you just guner install

sp3's just a rollup of all the little hotfixes released since sp2 except ie7.
mostly security stuff me thinks.

Hi all
Dont know what im doing wrong
But my comp wont even download it
It does all the checks says downloading but been on 0% for ages
tried twice now
Only reason i can think of is my copy is fake
So i havent downed the genuine thing its been disabled
But my comp does have a patch or 2 to get these things
Anyone any ideas

It does take ages m8,i thought there was something wrong then it started

MS pulls plugs on XP SP3 mass launch
By Kelly Fiveash → More by this author
30 Apr 2008 09:04
'Compatibility issues' delay Windows update

Microsoft has pulled the general release of Windows XP service pack three (SP3) at the eleventh hour, blaming a “compatibility issue” for the cock-up.

The software giant said late yesterday it was suspending mass download of the long-awaited service pack while it investigates the problem between its point-of-sale app – Dynamics Retail Management System (RMS) – and both XP SP3 and Vista SP1.

It said in an email that the update, which was released to manufacturing and volume licensing customers a week ago and was supposed to be generally available from yesterday, will not be pumped out to the masses via its Windows Update (WU) website as planned until the company fixes the bug.

However, the firm hasn’t pinpointed when XP SP3 will be available, much to the chagrin of Vista-shy customers who have been patiently waiting for the update to land.

“In the last few days, we have uncovered a compatibility issue between Microsoft Dynamics Retail Management System (RMS) and both Windows XP SP3 and Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (SP1)," said the firm.

"In order to make sure customers have the best possible experience, we have decided to delay releasing Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) to the web.”

It also said that filtering would be put in place “shortly” to prevent WU spitting out both service packs to systems running Dynamics RMS. Once that tweak has been made, XP SP3 will be made available online.

Microsoft added that customers running its point-of-sale app, which is used mainly by small to medium-sized retailers, should swerve installing the service packs on either OS until a fix has been provided.

Redmond pushed back the release date of XP’s final service pack several times, and was supposed to be withdrawing sales of the operating system from the market at the end of June.

But earlier this month Microsoft, in a somewhat embarrassing U-turn that suggested the firm was pricking up its ears and listening to unfavourable customer feedback about Vista, said it would continue to sell Windows XP Home for bargain basement PCs beyond its scheduled 30 June kill-date .

Just last week Microsoft boss Steve Ballmer hinted that XP could be reprieved from end-of-life if enough customers demand it. ®

*****this is a copy of somewhere else's post,sorry can't remember where from******

found it re SP3, appols for some reason cannot edit post.

ht*p://www.channelregister.co.uk/2008/04/30/xp_sp3_delayed/

It does take ages m8,i thought there was something wrong then it started

Me again
Yes ive been keeping up to date it was released over a week ago
As most do or should
Set update to notify when update is ready which it is
now it started then said update unsucsessful
Tried a few times no joy
even tried that update to check widows is genuine still no joy
i will try again in a few days if i remember lol

installed it the other day but did a full backup before hand not had any probs todate, fingers crossed. Famous last words lol

I have Installed SP3 las tnite and it seems to be fine with my system.

you get alot of drivers installed on it tho e.g i have a amd processor and it found other drivers for that and installed for me now its running alot faster .

Back