windows keeps looking for updates

goalseeker

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi hope someone can suggest how I can stop windows 10 looking for an update every time I load a new programme or action.

Whenever I click run or try to install a new programme, windows tries to find a new update (see attached) I have to follow link PC goes through the process of finding update, I have to reboot PC only to get the message no update required. I run my windows 10 Enterprise version 1803. I have tried to update it to 2004 without success.

Can anyone help to suggest a way to prevent this constant battle please, all assistance greatly appreciated. Only one word I am 78 (father to Dutcho) and have basic PC
understanding, being self taught. Hey when I took my degrees, the Internet was striving to be born and windows hadn't even been looked into {:)}

regards

Attachments

• update now.png
    update now.png
    96.4 KB · Views: 12
Found on the web;

To disable automatic updates on Windows 10 permanently, use these steps:
  1. Open Start.
  2. Search for gpedit.msc and select the top result to launch the Group Policy Editor.
  3. Navigate to the following path:
    Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update
  4. Double-click the Configure Automatic Updates policy
  5. Check the Disabled option to turn off the policy.
  6. Click the Apply button.
  7. Click the OK button.
After you complete the steps, Windows 10 will stop downloading updates automatically on your computer. However, you'll continue to be able to install patches manually from Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update, and clicking the Check for updates button.

I'm wondering, is it the same update it is looking for each time, or is it an update relating to one... or posibly several different... things you are trying to install?
I have a way old Dell that has W10 installed, which keeps looking for a particular feature update and failing (not this pc so I can't say which feature update it is, sorry).
I think in my case the hardware is so old that the feature update isn't relevant, so it's bound to fail.

Do pcs still show a log of updates done and failed ones?

Yes, in W10 (as in this thread) look at Start: Settings [the cogwheel icon]: Update and Security -

1604523060653.png

Selecting View update history -

1604523154632.png

Last edited:
Try opening the microsoft store and switch on or off

View attachment 130720

View attachment 130721
Try opening the microsoft store and switch on or off

View attachment 130720

View attachment 130721
Thank you Joe Noodles For taking time out to try to help me it is appreciated.
It looks like your idea works for me, I shall be able yo confirm as I try to load new programmes or links but it does see to work on items I have faced with problems up to now, and is saving me a great deal of frustration.
regards M8

I'm wondering, is it the same update it is looking for each time, or is it an update relating to one... or posibly several different... things you are trying to install?
I have a way old Dell that has W10 installed, which keeps looking for a particular feature update and failing (not this pc so I can't say which feature update it is, sorry).
I think in my case the hardware is so old that the feature update isn't relevant, so it's bound to fail.

Thank for taking time out to try to help it is appreciated I see what you have done to change the group policy I am filing this in case Hoe Noodles does not clear all issues.
kind regards M8

Hi Cactkid It is every time I try to load a new file or programme most frustrating I have tried Joe Noodles and that looks to have cured problem. But thanks for taking time out to try to help it is appreciated to have so many willing friends.
regards

Back